7.

"Welcome to Kirkland & Gold, how may I help you beautiful ladies today?" The receptionist warmly greeted us.

"Hey, Abigail. I have a 5:30 appointment with Harry." My mom returned in a friendly tone that made me give her the side eye. Fake ass. At home, she's a drunk who's too lazy to clean, cook, yet alone shower. 

She was done hiding out in her room and doing it out in the open now. She just lays on the couch all day, drinking until she passes out. But now, If I didn't know any better, she could've fooled me. She cleaned up well for this meeting. Giving the impression she was sober. Wearing a two piece pant suit, the jewelry she paired it with made her look elegant. Even her hair and makeup was done. 

"Yes, he's waiting for you now. Follow me." She stood. Leading us to the last door on the right. Instead of entering, she just held the door open for us.

When we entered his office, Harry stood and walked around his desk to greet us. For as long as I've known him, I've never seen Harry in anything other than a suit. The sharp suit he was wearing just screamed money. I took a quick peak at his shoes liking the Louboutin loafers. Yes, he's short and pudgy but he sure as hell don't dress like it. And his bite was bigger than his bark. 

"Sheila, how are you doing? I'm sorry we didn't get a chance to speak at the funeral" He acknowledged giving my mom a hug. 

"Please Harry, I was so busy that day, I barely had time to talk to anybody." She waved him off.

Smiling, Harry turned towards me. "Laurel," He singsong, greeting me with a warm hug. A faint smell of his cologne hit me and damn he smelled good. Harry Goldstein. He was what you called a shark. He had a sharp tongue and was quick with it, that's what gave him the reputation of being a beast in court. My father had saved his life while on duty, it was actually how they met, and ever since Harry's been family. 

Smiling, Harry turned his attention towards me. "Laurel." He sang, greeting me with a warm hug. After the introductions were through, it was time to get down to business. We all sat down to discuss my father's will.

"Be honest, Harry, how much am I looking at?" She inquired. I kept quiet but I sure was looking at her funny. She was basically drooling at the mouth. 

"Now, Sheila, it's not that easy. I've seen a lot of people get ahead of themselves when it comes to these things. Now first thing's first, as the executor of his will, I have the legal responsibility to pay off any debt your late husband had with the money in his will. I've done some digging..." He trailed off while looking through some paper work. 

My mom leaned forward like she was anticipating bad news. 

"I've done my due diligence and he did not have a single debt. Including any taxes that needed to be pay off because we know the IRS can be a bitch. Now, on to the good news. He did, however, leave an inheritance."  He smirked.

"Sweet Jesus!" My mom gasped, clutching her pearls. "That man." She paused, tearing up. "That man has been so good to me. He's shown me a love like no other. From the moment he entered my life, he took care of me and for him to still make sure I was taken care of even after he was gone. I miss him so much." She sobbed

"Whoa! Whoa! Sheila, Troy left the inheritance for Laurel," he corrected her. Shocking both her and me.

Just that quick my mom's tears dried up. "What?" She questioned.

"It's written right here in black and white. He named Laurel as his beneficiary, everything in his name goes to her, including the house. He also left a trust fund for her, however your father's written wishes were for you not to have access to the money until you're of age. Which is eighteen." He said before handing me the will. Before I could even lift my hand up, my mom snatched it out of his hand.