15. Part 1

Laurel

I opened the front door of what used to be my home but the vibe was. . . different. That warm, cozy welcoming I used to feel was now cold and so dark I could barely see.  Although I was reluctant on entering, my body still pushed forward as if it had a mind of its own.

Walking up the stairs, despite it, being extremely dark, I still knew my way around. And right now my body was leading me to my parent's room. The door quietly squeaked as I slowly opened it.

I entered the cold room but it was empty. It was dark but a dim light coming from behind the closet door illuminated the room. Making my way over, I entered the small space. Drawn to the navy blue box, I quickly opened it revealing its content. The letters and the document.

Dear Brandon,

No amount of words can convey how sorry I am. I'm sorry things got this far and I'm sorry it had to end this way. Words can't even describe what you and I had. If I had known it would've led to this, I would've never even engaged in this affair. But I was too weak. With Troy and I going through our issues, and him moving out, I was vulnerable. And now it's too late. I can't have this baby Brandon! I know it'll crush you have to find out this way but I cannot keep this child. As much as it'll hurt you, I know it'll destroy Troy! I just can't do that to him. I love him too much. I decided I want to make things right with him and work on our marriage. And Brandon, nothing would get in the way of that. Besides, don't you think it's about time you did the same with Kenya? It's just best we end things here before someone seriously gets hurt.

Sincerely, Shelia

Horrified, I drop the letter before picking up the document. Shocked to discover it was Brian's birth certificate with both Shelia's and Brandon's signatures. The hairs on the  back of my neck stood as I felt a presence. I heard the closet door open behind me.

I turned around just in time, as Brian lunged towards me. Only, he looked completely different. His face was almost demonic. His eyes were nearly black and he snarled with sharp teeth. I jolted as his hand wrapped tightly around my throat. Cutting off my air supply.

In the middle of me panicking, I felt something. It was close to anger but at the same time, it felt vigorous. Giving me what I needed: strength.

"GET OFF OF ME!" I screamed, pushing hard against his chest with both hands. The action sent him flying backward. I was breathing heavily as I looked down at my trembling hands.

I jumped up snatching the covers off me. I coughed a little as I clutched my throat. Looking around, I sighed in relief realizing I had dozen off. It felt so real. I felt my damp forehead. I was even sweating. I had been having these nightmares back to back lately. While they all ended the same with Brian choking me, this was one different. I had finally fought back.

Knowing I wouldn't be able to go back to sleep after feeling icky, I went to the bathroom to wash my face. I was a little thirsty too so I went downstairs to get a glass of water. To my surprise, Fannie was already down there.

"Ooh! Girl, you scared me." She clutched her chest with one hand while the other held a tub of ice cream. "What you doing up this late? It's three in the morning." She continued eating.

"Couldn't sleep," I muttered. Heading straight for the refrigerator. Once I filled my glass with cold water, I gulped it down in less than 30 seconds.

"Well damn," Fannie muttered. 

"I was thirsty." I giggled, rinsing the glass before putting it back. I sighed thinking about the dream I just had. Knowing Brian was actually my mother's, making him my half-brother this entire time has taken a toll on me.