8.

I kept my head down avoiding Tyler's glare. I sat on top of the stairs while he chose to stand. We were in the fourth-floor stairwell. It was always empty in the morning. He had dragged me in here when he saw the bruises on my neck.

At first, I tried to cover it with a shirt, but when we're walking in school the wind blew my hair back and he saw Brian's hand marks. "So you not gone tell me what the fuck happened." He questioned. I remained quiet. I was too embarrassed to say. I knew I shouldn't have come today.

"Did that fucking nigga Trigga put his hands on you!" He snapped getting angry. I quickly shook my head now. Knowing him he would've tried to confront Trigga and the last thing I wanted him doing was getting himself killed. 

"No, it wasn't him." I shook my head trying to get him to believe me. Tyler shook his head getting angrier by the minute. "Don't lie for this nigga. Did he put his hands on you?" He asked again staring into my eyes.

"No, Tyler, he didn't do this! Damn!" I snapped. I didn't mean to but I was frustrated and I was tired of repeating myself.

"Then who the fuck did! Laurel look at your fucking neck! It's killing me seeing you like this." He teared up causing me to look down. My chest tightening at the hopeless look in his eyes. When I woke up this morning, the hand print on my neck had turned blue. I wasn't going to come but I had already missed too many days and at this point, school was the only place I felt safe.

Seeing Tyler cry made me feel worse. Before I knew it, I burst into tears. "I'm sorry. I-I'm sorry. It was from Brian. Brian did this." I sobbed.

Tyler gasped before he sat next to me and engulfed me in a hug. My body involuntary tensed up before relaxing. I couldn't do anything but cry. Tyler tried his best to comfort me.

"My own fucking mom did this!" I spat. I gave Tyler the run down of the whole thing. The night of the funeral. Followed by me confronting my mama and her getting Tara to leave me alone with Brian.

"I tried to fight it, I swear I did, and he got so angry. I was scared for my life, I thought he'd kill me." I told Tyler.

"That fucking bitch!" He spat angrily rising to his feet.  "Laurel you gotta do something. This isn't right." He shook his head. Pacing back and forth.

"Do what! I don't have anyone. My daddy's gone. There's no one here to protect me now." I responded. I was starting to get frustrated because I felt completely hopeless.

"Laurel you can't live there anymore. I don't care, I don't care." He shook his head. "I don't give a fuck if I gotta kidnap you myself. I don't feel okay with you being in that house." He said assertively.

"Where am I gonna go? My relatives live in a different state and the rest are dead. I don't even want to get them into this cause next thing you know the whole family gone know." I shook my head wiping away my tears.

"You could stay with me." He offered to cause me to shoot him a look. We both knew that wouldn't work. "You right." He nodded his head. With his parents and three brothers, his house was too full. They were practically family, but still I wouldn't feel comfortable.

"What about your crazy aunt Fannie. You could stay with her. You know she loves you." He suggested.

I nodded but I already made my decision. I had one year left. I was going to get a job and save. That way I'd spend less time home and save enough to move out once I graduate. I didn't need any family members knowing my business.