3.

When I reached home, I saw my parents were there as well. Which was rare. My mom was always home when I came from school preparing dinner and resting for her night shift. My dad is the one that's usually gone during the day and comes home after his shift. He probably left early today.

I stood on the porch and dreaded going inside. I just hope Brian wasn't home. I walked in and saw my neighbor's five-year-old daughter, Tara. I usually look after her but my mom would babysit when I was in school.

"Hi, Lala!". She immediately ran to me, hugging my legs. "Hey, Tara," I greeted back ruffling her hair. I walked upstairs with her hot on my tail. Whenever she was over here, she clung to me. I didn't mind, she was the little sister I never had. As soon as we walked into my room, I noticed Brian sitting on my bed. I grimaced when I realized my panties from the hamper I kept my dirty clothes in, were in his hands. Bringing it up to his face, he inhaled deeply before putting it in his back pocket. A sinister smirk plastered on his face.

"Get out." This is exactly why I didn't want to come home. What if it was my mom or dad who decided to walk into my room. He's so careless and that's what scares me. Ignoring me, he turned his attention to Tara, who I immediately hid behind me. He got the hint and walked out not before bumping me purposely.

I made Tara sit on the toilet and play games on my phone while I showered. After I finished getting dressed we both went downstairs where my parents were watching T.V. "Hey ma." I kissed her cheek and went to sit by my dad and laid my head on his shoulder.

"Hey, how was school?" my mom asked. "It was good. What are you doing home mister?" I poked my dad's cheek with each word causing him to chuckle.

"Your dad has something to tell you. I'm going to get started on dinner." My mom gave him a look causing him to sigh.

"What is it?". They were making me anxious. Parents never knew how much their kids actually paid attention. The looks they were exchanging between each other was telling me that whatever it was was something bad.

"Umm, well you know how there have been a few cases of shootings around the area lately?" My dad asked while searching my face for any emotions. I nodded my head wondering what that had to do with him. Who didn't know about that. Lately, there has been a large amount of shootings. Most of them fatal. Innocent bystanders being killed. With all of this chaos erupting and no one behind the shootings being brought to justice, it left everyone sitting on pins and needles.

"Well I have been assigned to this specific case and that requires me not to be home as often. It's just until this case is solved." He continued.

Tears welled in my eyes when it dawned on me what that meant. With my dad no longer being here at night that left me completely alone with Brian. My head began to hurt and I felt my skin getting hot.

"No, I don't want you to do it. We won't be able to see each other anymore. By the time you'll be home, I'll be at school, and by the time I'll be home, you'll be at work." I pouted. I know I was laying it on thick but I had to try. My dad and I had a bond like no other. We were very close and did a lot of things together. It's been like this since I was small.

"Awww, don't cry La, see this is why I didn't want to say anything." He said before wrapping his arm around my shoulder. "I'm sorry but this is the case that can make or break my career. If I solve this case, there's a chance I can become a detective. Don't you want me to make more money for prom, your senior class trip?"He attempted to make me feel better but it didn't work. If he only knew the real reason.

"I'll tell you what, before I leave for work tonight we'll have a movie night and I'll make sure you're asleep before I go." He bargained with me. It didn't really help but I couldn't stay mad at my dad for long. It was better than nothing. "Deal." I smiled and went to go pick the movies out. Ten minutes later my dad and I were watching movies laying on the fort we built on the living room floor.