10.

My stomach was in knots as I ran down my aunt's driveway. "Laurel!" She called after me but to no avail. I was already down the street by then. I ran until I made it to the bus stop. My throat burned from me trying to hold in my tears.

Spotting Tyler walking towards me. I eyed his sympathetic expression. He knew. Stopping in front of me, Tyler wrapped his arms around my shoulders pulling me into a hug. "I'm sorry L," He whispered against my hair.

Slightly pushing him off, I fixed my clothes. "I'm good, I promise," I muttered, refusing to look him in the eyes. The bus arrived just on time and we got on.

I was trying my hardest to be strong. The news this morning was like a slap in the face. The explosion of the police station investigation was closed. The cause of the fire was an overloaded circuit breaker. Another reminder not only was my father no longer here but he had died a horrific way.

Looking around the bus, I wondered to myself why I even got on it. It wasn't in me to go to school at all right now.

I followed behind Tyler as he led the way to the cafeteria. It was almost time to go and I couldn't be any happier. I was ready for this day to be over with. I just wanted to go home, take a hot shower, and lie in bed.

I was wrapped up in my thoughts and not paying attention when I bumped into the back of Tyler. He had stopped walking which caused us to collide. "Uhh! Tyler what's the fuck?" I sucked my teeth adjusting my bookbag. We were in the entrance of the cafeteria when he suddenly stopped causing others behind to move around us.

Following his line of vision, I felt my stomach drop. I just couldn't seem to catch a break today.

Sitting at their usual table, Shaniya and her friends were all smiles accompanied by Travis and Bentley. I felt a pang in my chest as Shaniya giggled from Travis tickling her. She was on his lap with his arms banded around her waist. I just knew her cheeks were burning from how hard she was smiling. A pair of dimples on each cheek. They looked like the perfect couple.

Shaniya was averaged height and slim. Despite being petite, she still had a nice shape. Her boobs were perfect for her size and she had some ass on her. She's dark-skinned with heart-shaped lips. She stayed in the latest clothing and rocking the latest hairstyle too.

Looking my way, Nakia smirked before nudging Shaniya with her elbow. Shaniya took the time to observe me. Looking me up and down for a single flaw. A small smirk formed on her face before she grabbed Travis and kissed him on the cheek.

As if he can feel me staring, Travis's eyes landed on mine. He looked at me for a split second before looking away. Witnessing the whole thing, Shaniya and her friends erupted into laughter.

Turning away, I left the cafeteria desperate to get away. I needed to get as far away as possible before I embarrassed myself.

"Laurel!" I heard Tyler yelling after me. I ignored him and continued walking. Shaking my head, I tried to convince myself that I shouldn't be surprised. I shouldn't be mad at anyone but myself. I knew the type of person Travis was before deciding to take that route with him. I could've kept it strictly platonic. I knew how toxic him, and Shaniya's relationship was. Yet I still couldn't help but feel played. Here I was, left looking stupid.

Entering the stairwell, I climbed step after step. Ignoring the burning in my thighs, I continued until I reached the very top. I released a deep breathe before taking a seat on the top stair.

"Whew!" Tyler huffed as he finally made it to the top. "Damn hoe you had to pick the 4th floor!" Bending down with his hands on his knees, he began taking deep breathes. I rolled my eyes at his dramatic ass.