Chapter Thirty Two

Aubrey "Drake" Graham.

Waiting for her to answer me felt like an eternity. Before I flew out to New York, I had went to Toronto to pay a visit to my mother and to my grandmother's grave. I hadn't gone to see her in a while and it honestly made me feel like shit.

I told my grandmother everything about my life in the past year, especially the best thing, meeting Kennedy, falling in love with her and now, expecting a baby. It was bittersweet but the little bit of Hennessy I'd taken with me was comforting.

"She's the one Bubby, I just...I wanted your blessing to give her the ring you gave me." I pulled the black box from my pocket and opened it. It was my grandmother's wedding ring, she'd given it to me a few months before she passed and told me to give it to the one I'd marry. I think she knew her time was coming and she wanted to leave me with a piece of her. "She's having my baby, we're going to be happy. I'm not proposing because of that though, I'm doing it because there's no one else I'd rather spend the rest of my life with." I paused and took another sip, "Plus, I owe that to her." It was quiet for a while since I was the only one in the cemetery. The sun was setting and it was snowing but I didn't mind it.

"You would've loved her, probably more than you loved me. The best thing about her, besides her beauty is the fact that she doesn't need me. I think that's my favorite thing about her. She has her own everything and it also scares me. I'm so used to keeping women, hanging their dependency on me over their heads, using it as bait which is messed up, but Kennedy, she stopped me right in my tracks. She made me grow up and I respect her for that." I let out a deep sigh. "I miss you."

"She misses you too Aubrey," I turned around upon hearing my mother's voice. I smiled up at her and she came and stood next to the chair I was sitting in. "Why didn't you tell me you wanted to marry her?" Her smile was huge and I knew then that she approved.

"I was going to, I just wanted to tell Bubby first." I said and she squeezed my hand. "She'd love her Aubrey, no doubt about it."

"How'd you know I was here?" I asked her after standing and picking up the folding chair. My mother gave me a dirty look before snatching the liquor bottle out of my hand which made me laugh a little. "Did you forget that I gave birth to you? I know you more than you know yourself."

"That's funny," I said as we walked towards our cars. "Kennedy says the same thing to me all the time."

"What?" Kennedy sat up and rubbed her eyes. "Did you just...maybe I was dreaming." I watched her lay back down and I couldn't help but smile.

"Ken, I just asked you a question." I nudged her and she opened her eyes again. I held out the black box to her and her eyes went wide. "So you did just ask me to marry you?" I watched her sit up and I took a deep breath, and waited on her to stop acting like she didn't have any sense.

She opened the box and seeing tears come to her eyes almost did the same thing to me but my nerves were overriding any other emotions I was feeling at the moment. "Aubrey it's beautiful," She threw her arms around me and I smiled and kissed her forehead. I heard her sniffling, then she pulled back a little. "Wait," Her eyes softened and she bit her lip nervously. "You're not proposing because I'm--"

"I wouldn't do that Kennedy, I wouldn't do that to you...I want to do this right. I want to marry you, I want to spend my life with you. I need something more than a baby to make us permanent. I mean I don't go to church and shit but I need some kind of spiritual tie to you. That's the only way I want to do this." I reached over and wiped her tears away before taking the box from her and pulling the ring out. "So, what do you say? You up to spending the rest of your life with The Boy?"