Chapter Three

Kennedy Onika "Nicki" Maraj.

I looked in the mirror pleased with my outfit. I woke up in an okay mood but I felt like being simple today. I always made a fashionable statment, but I didn't want to over dress for tonight.

I decided to wear a Burgundy Jogging Suit from PINK and a pair of Classic Black Uggs. I really didn't feel like dealing with my natural hair today, so I put on one of my favorite wigs.

The great part of having a cosmetology license was the fact that I could fix my own self up. My hair and make up were things that I enjoyed doing. In the past few years I've grown fond of wigs, instead of continuously getting sew-ins.

When I looked down at my phone, I saw that it was going on 7:45am. I quickly grabbed my Black Louis Vuitton Bag, cellphone, and car keys. I made sure my doors were locked, and planned to start my day with a peaceful mindset.

I walked into the shop later than expected due to early morning New York traffic. I bought two dozens of donuts from Dunkin Donuts and ten medium hot chocolates.

I left them in the car, knowing that I couldn't carry it all out on my own.  I parked in my usual parking spot, and walked the short distance from the parking lot to the entrance of the shop.

The big red sign read "Casa de Pelo", which meant House of Hair in Spanish.

It was a name that stuck with me my whole life. I remember I looked it up when I was younger, and I always promised myself that I would name my shop that exact name.

I opened the door and I knew many people weren't going to be in. It was Monday morning, which was an off day for most.

Kylie, who was a nail tech, sat by her station. When she saw me walk in her face lit up with a smile. Kylie was  a young nail tech that had moved all the way from Los Angeles just to achieve her dreams. I let her work here for free until she built her clientele up.

Years later she had become one of the best in the city, and she had also become a very good friend of mines.
"Hi Boss Lady, you've been MIA on us".

I gave her slight smirk, "I know, I know. I'm back though, hope you guys haven't been slacking while I've been gone".

She shook her head, "You know nobody slacks, were always professional".

I gave her a wink, "Im trusting you on that.. Wheres Jelani"? She pointed towards the back, I'd figured that he was in his office.

As I walked towards the back, I greeted other worker and customers. The door of Jelani's office was slightly open, I saw that he was on the phone.

I pushed the door open a little and eased my way in. He slightly looked up from his phone and gave me a worried face. I sat down in the seat across from him and waited for his phone call to end.

When he placed the phone down on his desk, he did nothing but stare at me. "Where the hell have you been, why didn't you call and let me know you weren't coming"?

I shrugged my shoulders, "Brother I truly needed a break. Safaree and I broke up, like seriously ended things this time. I just hit a rough spot and I needed to just be alone".