Meeting the Parents

'Do I have to go?' Lauren whines, changing the channel. You roll your eyes and sit her her lap.

'For the one hundredth time, yes!' You reply, stroking her stomach. 'They're not even that bad.'

For weeks now, you have begged Lauren to meet your parents but she keeps making up excuses for not doing it. Your parents weren't even that bad; your mum was a cafe owner and you dad had a office job. The only thing wrong with them were that they were embarrassing. In half an hour, you were going to meet them at a local cafe for some coffee and small talk.

'I know, but I'm so nervous!' Her leg start to jiggle and you find yourself bouncing on her lap. You giggle and steady yourself before replying.

'It's not big deal! Now let's get dressed and go!' You hop off her lap and walk up the stairs to your shared bedroom. You hear trudging footsteps behind you indicating that Lauren is following and you smile.
••••
5 minutes later you are both ready. You have decided to wear a black tank top with ripped jeans and a flannel around your waist. Lauren choose her typical white shirt with a band logo on it, matched with black skinny jeans and a biker's jacket. Casual, as she says.

'Ready?' You ask, grabbing your keys from the drawl.

'Ready as I'll ever be, I guess.' Lauren replies, shoving her hands in her pockets. You both walkout the door to your car and Lauren turns on the radio. 'Cool for the Summer' starts playing and the pair of you whip your heads in time to the beat. 'Cool for the summer' In Lauren's head was the greatest song ever created, well apart from The 1975 of course.

Minutes later you arrive at the cafe and you pull over in a empty car park. In one of the tables out front, you see your parents talking to each other. They notice you and wave to you to come over. Holding Lauren's hand, you make your way over to meet them.

'Hey Mum, Dad.' You greet them with open arms and turn around to Lauren. 'Mum and Dad, this is Lauren. Lauren, these my parents.' Your parents also greet Lauren with open arms and you are relived, slightly. You both sit down beside each other and across from your parents . Glancing at the menu, you pick out a few things that you like. But for the sake of keeping conversation going, you decide on just getting a coffee.

'So, how's life been going?' You mum asks, folding her hands on the table. 'How's University?'

'It's been good mum, I've been staying on top of my classes. How have you been?' You wave a waitress over and order before she could answer.

'I've never been better, your father brought a caravan! Can you believe it? Anyways, how have you been Lauren? Do you go to University?' You squeeze Lauren's thigh and give her a smile.

'I'm good, thank you. I've actually finished University a year ago. I pushed myself really hard to get that major. Architecture.' Lauren replied, proud of herself for saying that.

(Half an hour later)

'Well it was nice to meet you Lauren, you're a very nice girl. Y/N's lucky to have you.' You father says, shaking her hand. Lauren leans in to give your mother a hug and you head off down the street to your car. Once out of sight, you jump up in the air and big Lauren.

'Yes! We did it! They love you!' You exclaim, holding her tight.

'Really? You think?' She replies, shaking her head. 'It wasn't as bad as I thought.'

'Of course it wasn't! I told you!' You laugh and get into your car. You turn on the engine and look into her eyes.

'How about we go for ice cream?'