The Mansion

I get to the bottom steps that lead up to Shane's home. Looking up towards the top appears to be a hike when I stare up there. I sigh and begin to walk up the stairs, hanging onto the railing for a type of support. I almost stumble up the first few steps as my legs are not yet used to this climbing sensation. I guess that I've gotten weaker much faster than I wanted to, my body just doesn't cooperate sometimes; not like it used to anyway. I pull myself up a few more steps, just trying to prove to myself that I'm still strong and that I can go up a few stairs. I've been through so much more than going up stairs, this shouldn't be even a little hard for me. The will inside me forces me to go up more stairs, pushing myself passed any limit my body tries to give me. I almost collapse from exhaustion, but I force myself back on my feet and push forward, not caring about my body's needs right now. I almost crawl up the last step that is right in front of the door to the inside. I grab the handle, using it to pull myself off the ground and to my feet once more. I pull the key Shane had given me out of my pocket and open the door with it. I push my way inside and take the key out once I'm done with it, shoving it back into my pocket. I sigh heavily and make myself start looking at the house I am now going to live in. The floors are a dark oak wood and the walls vary in colors all around the house. It appears that upstairs it has a tinted light blue mixed with the white walls near the staircase. The first floor has walls painted a light, calming orange. I see my box laying at the bottom of the stairs with everything still inside it. I approach the box and lift it into my arms carefully. When I do, I see a small note inside written in messy handwriting.
'Pick any room to be yours. If you wish to have one near mine, it's st the top of the stairs, second door on the right.
-Shane'
I decide that I should probably at least see rooms that are near his. I walk up the stiars, still holding my box, and stare up at rooms at the top. All of the rooms have doors that match the floor, being a dark brown with golden handles. I stare at the one that Shane had written was his, it looks almost exactly the same as the others on that floor. I get to the top floor, finally, and walk to the room next door to Shane's, turning the handle to let myself inside. This room has the same, dark floor that the rest of the house does and the paint on the walls are plain white. A bed sits near the other side of the room next to a window. I glance at the view, and it is very beautiful, looking over the field behind the town. However, I don't look long and I close the door, walking out of the room entirely. It wasn't my style I guess is the best way to describe it. I walk to the other side of Shane's room, walking inside another one that had been next door to him. However, this is not a bedroom, it is a connected bathroom. The floor inside is tile that is colored light gray. The smell of roses fills my nose and I glance at a counter that has a cup filled with fresh roses that appear to be only a few days old at the most. I guess Shane wasn't lying when he said that he has admirers. The walls inside are tinted blue, but more so than the walls outside, interesting. I close that door and walk down to the next, opening it how I had the others before it. The floor inside this room was different than the rest of the house. It has bright turquoise persian carpet with spots of green inside it as a way if making the image "pop" more. The walls are painted white, but have a pink tint that I enjoy seeing. A bed sits near the left wall and a curtained window on the back wall away from me. The curtains are a crimson red, one of my favorite colors. I'm not sure why, if it is how this room is different from the others, or how it has my favorite color without trying, but whatever it is... I like this room. I set down my box near the bed and then sit myself on the floor next to it. I lay my head back so it lays on the mattress of my bed and take in a deep breath. As a type of way to calm myself and finally tell myself that I have a home. That I can finally feel safe and alone, I can relax here and no one can tell me not to. I sigh in relief and run my fingers through the carpet in a relaxing way. A way that I would with Jack's hair when we used to lie on the ground, just trying to get some sleep for the next day. After all, we used to always be traveling and most times we didn't have the luxury of sleeping in beds. The only comfort you could have at night is the company of everyone around you and we all knew it. If I ever go back into a situation like that, I'll remember that simple fact. I'll know that you need support from people around you, after all, no one else is there but them. This thought sticks in my mind, just making me remember all those sleepless nights I used to have. Before I had this compound, this home. This place that can make me safe, a place that I can actually call my home, and not just another stop.