Everything Went Wrong

I slowly lift my head and rub my tired eyes as I wake. I sleepily lay back down and rub my eyes with my hand. I attempt to lift my arms to stretch, but I stop when I feel my fingers still intertwined with Marks. I finally open my eyes and see him lying in front of me. His eyes are still closed and his breathing is calmed and sounds almost peaceful. I smile lightly at the sight and kiss his cheek as if that would keep this moment in my life forever. I suddenly hear a feminine sounding scream come from outside the door. I jump up from my seat and carefully peal Marks hand off of mine to keep him in his slumber. I quickly walk towards the door and open it, stepping out and quietly closing it behind me. I see Maddie standing a few feet away and she appears to be talking to a nurse. Oh no. I take big, fast steps towards Maddie and try to find out more about the situation. Maddie has streams of tears rolling down her cheeks and she shakes her head violently.
"No, no, you're lying! No... He is fine! Where is his room?" Maddie says her voice going in the middle from inner stress building.
"Hey, what's going on?" I question, even though I already know the answer. I put my hand on Maddie's shoulder and look at her just trying to calm her.
"Miss Violet. I didn't expect you to still be here." The nurse says, her voice slightly shaky when she speaks to me. I look over at her and give her a questioning look.
"I spent the night, but that doesn't answer my question. What is going on?" I repeat my question, annoyance growing in my voice. The nurse gulps nervously and takes in a deep breath before she continues.
"Mr. Emmet is going into intensive care and we are not certain if he will make it out alive. His condition got extremely worse through the night and we're doing the surgery today." The nurse explains with wide eyes and a voice that shows her fear.
"That's too risky, the equipment here isn't the best and the power has gone out too much lately." I say with worry in my voice. The nurse shakes her head and her eyes avoid mine.
"Miss, if we don't do this successfully and today... He will die." The nurse explains with another gulp in her throat. I look back over at Maddie who stands with her entire body shaking and more tears pouring from her eyes. I move closer to her and wrap my arm around her for more support.
"What is the chance that he will survive and it will succeed?" Maddie questions, her voice hoarse and sounds as if it could break any moment. The nurse sighs heavily once more and her eyes focus on the ground.
"We do not know yet." She responds in a hushed voice as if the information was a secret. I sigh heavily and turn back towards Maddie, keeping my arm around her.
"Maddie, he will be fine. We both know that he is strong and we'll be able to see him jumping around like he always does." I say comfortingly as I run a few of my fingers through her hair and wipe a tear that falls from her eye.
"Can I see him before he goes in for surgery?" Maddie questions me hopefully. I turn my head to the nurse and she nods and begins walking towards his room. I lead Maddie towards the room and I let her stand outside of it before we open the door.
"You ready?" I ask with a smile that is only there to comfort her.
"Yeah." She answers as she quickly grabs the doorknob and turns in it one motion, bolting inside the room. I watch as she goes to Emmet's side and says things that I don't hear, sounding like a mumble in the back of my mind. Maddie runs her fingers through his hair and kisses his cheeks in a worried and loving way. It reminds me of when I first saw Jack in the police station, or when I saw Mark lying on the ground in that cell. Even when I saw Mark crying to Wade from across the road and I shouted his name. I have so many memories finding my friends and I know the feeling of holding them in your arms again, how wonderful that feeling is. I also know the feeling of dread and longing when they are missing, I know it probably better than anyone. I have felt it so much this last week and there is not one time in the day that I wasn't worried and thinking about what could be happening to them. But, then why do I feel so terrible when I have them and I have an opportunity to have an amazing family with my dream guy? It could be because I don't just have one dream guy that has returned and offered me this, it could be because I don't know how to choose between them. I know that Mark has said to me many times that he would be an excellent father and would love to live with me. However, he has also said that I am insane and that I love Jack more than him, which I don't even know if it's true. Then there's Jacks side of the story. I have lived with Jack before and I loved it, I loved how sweet and genuine his emotions are for me. However, he is like a lost puppy most of the time, he doesn't know what I truly feel and how I am most of the time. I'm not sure I could deal with that if I ever did have a full family life with him. I sigh heavily with my thoughts pounding my skull as more blossom inside me. I shrug my shoulders and walk away from the room to give Maddie an alone moment with Emmet. I continue walk down the hallway towards Wade's room and finally enter it. I walk inside and see him still laying on his bed leaning against the headrest.
"Hey kid." He chuckles in a voice that sounds like he is fine and didn't even need to be in the hospital.
"Hey." I respond with a chuckle as I sit down in the seat next to him.
"So, how is everything? I literally don't know anything other than what you've told me." Wade says with a small laugh cone from his mouth. I nod my head and lean on the chair.
"Well, Mark is waking up and he seems pretty good." I say with a pause, deciding if I should talk about what is really eating away at me inside.
"And...? There's something else isn't there...? Tell me." Wade says with a smirk. I sigh heavily and nod.
"He said that he wanted to get a house with me and live with me." I say, exhaling all the air in my lungs afterwards.
"Okay, and what's the big point with that? You both have wanted that for so long, right?" Wade questions nervously with a hopeful smile planted on his face.
"Yeah, but that's not the whole story." I state, taking in another deep breath.
"Okay, then what else happened?" Wade questions with his smile fading to a strait, concerned face.
"Well, I went to see my new house and Jack was there. He looked way better and is almost all the way healed, he is smiling again and looks like he'll he alright. I went to go grab my things to come back here and Jack came with me to show me the house. But... He made one of the rooms our room so we were sharing it. He said basically the same thing Mark said to me, that we could live together in that house and have a family there. And... I don't know how to put it, but I can't choose between them. Let me put it this way, I believe that each person has multiple true loves in their lives and depending on a few things it will decide which one you end up with. I think that both Mark and Jack have been my true loves and a reason for me to choose one or the other hasn't come yet. So, I'm stuck. Because I don't know how to choose between them and I probably never will until that deciding life changing thing happens." I explain, the whole time avoiding looking into Wade's eyes, instead eyeing the floor in a slight sorrow.
"We can't wait for that event though, it isn't fair to anyone. But, I do get where you're coming from and I respect your point of view. However, if Jack is doing as well as you're saying and Mark has barely woken up... Who do you think will need you right now?" Wade questions, pausing for a moment to let it sink in. "And I'm not just saying it because I'm Marks best friend, I'm saying it because I know him. And I know how much you mean to him and I know that you really do care for him. I know that you can help him through whatever is happening in his life, and right now, he needs that. I know that you might feel guilty with Jack, but this isn't a final decision. You're just saying that you're helping a friend, it doesn't even have to be in a romantic way. Just as long as you help him, it's fine with me. Whatever else happens, I can't control and neither can Jack. I've talked to him about this and he knows what I have to say. After all, I did always think that it would be you and Jack that ended up together, but kid, you prove me wrong a lot. And sometimes it's good, because you're still alive! But it's all your choice, so there you go. You've heard my point, but you don't have to take my advice if you don't want to. Alright? Now c'mere and give me a hug, I need it after giving this speech." Wade chuckles as he opens his arms and I gladly hug him tightly.
"Thanks Wade, I needed that." I whisper in his ear thankfully. He nods his head and pats me on the back a few times before letting me go.
"Now, go help my friend, or I'll have to do it and we all know how that ends." Wade chuckles as I stand from my chair and start towards the door.
"Yeah, yeah. I'll go. See you later, and don't cause too much trouble. You know they'll blame it on me." I say with a devious grin in my face. I walk out of the room with a wave and close it once I exit. I walk back down the hallway and turn the doorknob into Marks room. I see Mark shouting at a nurse who stands near my chair and holds my bag in her hand in an angry stance. When I enter both heads turn towards me and the nurse shakes her head and stomps towards me.
"What's the problem here?" I question in a confused tone as she slams my bag into my hand.
"You, get out of here. I have direct orders from Shane for you to get out of this hospital immediately." The nurse spits the words at me angrily as she begins pushing me towards the door.
"Woah, woah, woah. Why do I have to leave?" I snap at her, getting annoyed at her actions.
"I didn't ask, take your business to him if you want answers. All I know is that you need to get out of here. Now!" She shouts angrily as she opens the door, pushing me out of it and slamming it closed behind me. I glare at the door, as if it did something to me. I then stomp away and out the back entrance of the hospital. I then make my way towards the police office where I'm sure to find Shane.