"Maddie!" I heard Morgan call from the waiting room. I ignored him and closed the door, nodding at them through the window and closing the blinds.

"Let's hear his vitals and an update please." I said to my assistant. I pulled on my face mask and my hair cap before walking over to him.

"His blood pressure is 74 over 44, pulse is 23 BPM." Said Stacy. "We've clamped the arteries that were damaged but everything's getting worse by the minute." I nodded and dismissed her. I had everything I needed and wanted to do this without my assistant breathing down my neck. The anesthesiologist was a given since he had to come in every once in a while for Spencer's vitals and to administer more medicine.

I swept the hair from Spencer's face and began operating on his many injuries.

Morgan's POV

I saw the assistant walk out of the room. "Excuse me miss." I stood and she turned to me. "Is he stable? Aren't you supposed to he helping Dr. Collins?"

"He won't be stable for a while." She said. "He's in critical condition, these are usually ugly cases. She won't need me as long as she's got all her tools. The anesthesiologist will check in periodically for Mr. Reid's vitals and-"

"It's Doctor. His name is Dr. Reid." I corrected her. She gave me a look.

"Okay, he'll be in for Dr. Reid's vital signs. If Dr. Collins needs me, she'll press the call button." She gave me one more look and stalked off. I returned to the team.

"This is going to take a while." I said.

"Is Maddie really going to be able to operate on him without distractions?" JJ asked. "Not that I doubt her skill and knowledge but I wouldn't be able to do it."

"She'll be fine." A guy sitting across the room spoke up.

"And who are you?" I asked. He stood up and extended his hand.

"I'm James Birkensten." I shook his hand. "I'm her friend. I'm guessing this is the team she always talks about. Says you guys are like family to her."

I lightened up at how he spoke of us, giving him a nod. "My names Derek Morgan." I said. "This is Jennifer Jareau, Emily Prentiss, Penelope Garcia, David Rossi and our boss, Aaron Hotchner." I motioned to everyone behind me. He waved and I sat down next to him, making conversation to pass the time.

Maddie's POV

Four hours had passed. I was still operating on his more minor injuries, having stabilized his major ones. The bullet had ricocheted between his ribs and fractured one, so I would let the osteologist handle that. The nerves were still eating away at my mind and I could still feel tears escaping every now and then. However, I knew Spencer was going to be okay. He would need time before I would allow him to go back to work, and since it was under my orders, I could keep him out as long as I felt was necessary.

Another 2 hours passed before I was finally finished stitching and cleaning. Stacy was standing off to the side, and she seemed to notice my fidgety restlessness and my labored breathing.

"Are you okay?" She sounded concerned. "Usually you don't take this stuff so hard."

"I'm fine." I said. I looked out the window and the sun was coming up.

"Maddie, you've been crying through this. Tell me what's up. Who is this guy to you?" She crossed her arms at me.

"This is so cliché." I laughed despite the worry clouding my thoughts. "This is my boyfriend of almost 6 months. I can't tell you how scared I am of losing him right now. And I'm probably going to have to do more surgery in a little while after you guys determine his stability."