The Last Dance (1)

Start from the beginning

*

I looked back at Anna and regretfully down at myself.

"What is it? Wish you had the body to fill out a dress like her?"

I looked over at Prince Johnathan, immediately angry. At the age of 11 I had yet to develop any feminine curves, something John never failed to tease me about knowing it would get a rise out of me, and I always obliged.

"Shut up John!" I hissed "You're just jealous that everyone's too busy watching the girls to notice YOU"

"Their loss" He shrugged and swept his eyes over me, to mock rather than flatter. "Whose bright idea was it to put you in a dress anyway? Anyone with eyes could see you can't handle yourself in that dress, and those shoes" he snickered "What, did you steal them from your sister? I bet you can't even walk in them"

Ohh I hated him, he was only two years older than me but acted like he was already King.

"I can handle myself just fine!" I stood up straight glaring at him, and wobbled in the heels I'd begged my sister for. He smirked at me as my cheeks flushed with color.

"You're absolutely right, you can walk just fine, but be sure you ask for an escort down the stairs when it's your turn or you'll fall all the way down"

"Well that's fine because my true love will be waiting at the bottom to catch me!" I retorted

He rolled his eyes "I pity the poor fool already"

I started to walk towards him ready to tell him off when I stepped on the edge of my hem. I started to pitch forward when strong arms caught me around the waist. I looked up and smiled at King Jeoffrey who was like a second father to me. Speaking of fathers, I looked over at the Prince to see him bent double laughing and felt my face flush. The King looked over at his son with a small frown on his face.

"Hello....Father.... nice of you to come by.... I'm sure Cece appreciates your timing!" He gasped out between laughs

"Don't call me Cece!" I snapped

The King shook his head at his son and turned to me.

"Alright my dear?" He asked

"Yes, fine Uncle, thank you" I flashed him a smile and attempted a courtesy but stumbled again on my shoes. He held onto my elbow to steady me which sent John into a fresh round of laughter. The King smiled at me and winked

"Wearing your sister's old things I presume?"

"Yes Uncle Jeoffrey, but I guess they don't fit yet" I looked down embarrassed. The King wasn't really my Uncle, but my father was his best friend, and the Elder on his council, which made him seem more like family than royalty. He put his finger under my chin and lifted my face up to look into his smiling face.

"Nonsense my dear, you look stunning, and if my son had any manners, he would say the same" He said with a raised eyebrow.

"Uncle, are we talking about the same John?" I said seriously

He laughed and playfully smacked his hand against his son's back almost causing him to pitch forward face first. I covered my smile and the King gave me a conspiratorial wink which made me laugh for real.

"Now my dear, if you'll excuse me, I have guests to attend to, and I'm sure you want to find your sister to congratulate her"

"Oh yes! Anna, I can't wait to see her"