A Vast Escape To Another World

Chapter Fifty Six:

Susan's POV

(Claire's nightmare)

The clouds looked particularly dark this early afternoon as I gazed through the window on my flight to the east. I didn't remember The Weather Channel saying that it'd be stormy this week in New York, although, it was January, and things could turn when you'd least expect it. But even if it did, wouldn't the airlines not let the planes fly out?

Just as I thought that, the aircraft jostled slightly, bouncing up and down.

I guess people can be fooled by the weather...

My eyes caught sight of other passengers heads bobbing from above the seats. This happened a lot to me, so I was pretty comfortable with the occasional turbulence.

When the cabin began bouncing a little more roughly than I thought, I felt myself gripping onto the arm rests. I stretched my neck up and looked around at everyone. The flight attendants were stumbling off their feet and quickly climbing into the emergency seats. My heart started racing, seeing the scene which was outside.

I saw that we were descending from the clouds, just a mass of dark blurry air rushing passed me until the ocean was in sight.

That's when, I knew this was it.

The two men beside me had leaned forward, both breathing heavily in panic, and wrapped their arms underneath their legs. I copied, not wanting to watch anymore of the on coming sea water.

I breathed unevenly through my teeth as screams echoed throughout the cabin. Tears rolled up and over the ridge of my eyes once I started thinking about my family.

My boys-- now men, I would always know them as trouble makers, but I loved them so with all my heart. Claire, the little pudgy baby girl that lit up my life with her joyful grin... I'd never forget the first day she smiled at me. Through all the days she danced, brought tears to my eyes and gave me chills. Now all grown up, she's met her soulmate she tells me; marrying him in a few months now. How its going to break her heart if I'm not there...

And then there's Mark: my husband. I can't think of too many words to describe the way he makes me feel, than only that I love him. I love all of them.

My ears seemed to drown out the rest of the world, in which I just concentrated on thinking longingly of my beloved family. Impact would soon take me away from this place, God would wash my body in the rain that poured down on this tragic disaster. Washing away the pain that the crash has caused and making me rest for good.

----

Claire tossed in bed, moaning deep within her sleep while Taylor watched over her uncertain what to do. Taylor saw that tears had escaped from her tightly closed eyes, which had him even more worried than before. What was she dreaming of, he thought, was it that same dream about her Mother? He kept questioning himself, debating whether he should wake her slowly or just wait until she woke her self up. Either way, she'd be in pain.

Five agonizing minutes later, Claire screamed herself awake. Beads of sweat lined the ridge of her forehead while streamed pathways were drawn down her cheeks. Taylor stared at her pale face before taking her swiftly into his arms in one fluid movement. She cried gently into his bare chest. He laid his head upon hers and closed his own eyes, feeling her chest rise and fall rapidly with every breath she took. He didn't say anything. The muffled crying was the only thing alive right this moment.

He had never seen her produce this much...sadness, or horror before-- besides when it was the week her Mom had passed. So then it had to have been the dream, Taylor soon figured mentally as he stroked her back slowly.