And The Awkward Moments Begin

Chapter Forty Three

Claire's POV:

My nights sleep was definitely an uncomfortable one. Since, well, my ribs were pretty much shattered, I couldn't exactly lay on my side without being in complete pain.

So basically I was staring at the ceiling when I woke up to the bright sunlight.

It seemed early, but I wasn't quite sure.

My brain wanted me to sit up, to get a better view of my surroundings, but my body said hell no.

I slowly craned my neck to the left, seeing Taylors parents next to their son. Makena sitting in an armchair across from them. I couldn't tell if he was awake or not, but Debbie was whispering lovingly to him, as if she were pledging her love to her child right then and there.

Makena looked up and saw my eyes looking straight at her. I didn't want to bring any attention away from her brother, but I gave her a quick weak smile and then turned my head back to face the oblivious ceiling. Closing my eyes once again.

The hours passed, my friends came and talked to me for a while, of course bringing bunches of balloons and flowers with them. They also managed to speak to Taylor, as he was awake when they arrived. They treated him like a spoiled pet. Fixing his pillow, straighting the sheets, bringing him water. It made my face go red. I'm sure Taylor was enjoying every single minute of this. Though they were just doing it do get on my nerves on purpose, so I couldn't get too mad at them. They were just being their goofy selves. One word: dorks.

Kristen, Ashley, Nikki and the gang came next. Sending their absolute love for the both of us to get well. Kellan even commented,

"Damn, Claire. You're one tough chick." He put his hands on his hips as he stood at the foot of my bed. I blushed.

"She's my tough chick." Taylor added with a grin.

After we thought that most of our visitors had left for the day, it was just the two of us in the afternoon lit room. I turned my head towards Taylor, as he was looking at me, and reached my hand out to him. It began to shake randomly, even though I wasn't even pushing as hard to him. His eyes longed towards me, with the warmth that I missed. I let my muscles release and pulled my hand back. I couldn't take being apart from him like this, I had to at least sit by him.

I took a deep breath of oxygen in, inhaling the burning scent of rubbing alcohol and medicine, and forced my body to sit up. Whimpers broke through my gritted teeth as I felt and heard the grinding of my ribs inside me. Though my torso was wrapped up, it didn't take away the pain. Only the drugs could numb it for a short time.

I could feel Taylors anxious gaze on me, "What are you doing Claire?" His voice was so different. Like something was lodged in his throat.

"Coming... over.." I circled my arm around my stomach as I slowly moved the sheets off my legs. "to.. ugh, you." I groaned. This was the first time I had seen my legs. They were bruised and cut like it was nobodies business.

Closing my eyes again, I prepared myself to stand. On one foot of course.

"Claire.." He cautioned.

"I'm okay." I breathed sharply through my nose. My body ached. It hurt to move... But I had to get over to him.

I placed my bare left foot on the tile, squeaking from the coldness. My ace bandaged foot dangled lifelessly beside. I took my time putting my weight on my one foot, trying to find my balance before hopping over there.

I stood on that foot for a matter of minutes, and smiled.

"Tah dah." I said snapping my fingers.