|34|

"When darkness turns to light, it ends tonight."

||Myra||

The gardens had never been one of the places I liked most about the castle. It was large, with grass greener than emeralds and flowers that blossomed beautifully. When Thana and I played together, which happened rarely, we'd find ourselves picking flowers and climbing up trees back here. Time split us apart; however. That, and our everlasting hatred for each other. 

I never truly saw the beauty and it. I mean sure, green grass and flowers and all that, but they were plants. They would whither and die eventually.

"Such marvelous scenery." Prince Loucan said as his attention had been drawn to one of the many large rosebushes. "You are so lucky to enjoy this whenever you please."

"Oh, please." I said and pushed a long strand of black hair over my shoulder. "There are much better things I do in my time than gaze at plants."

"Like what?" The prince questioned. Answers of all sorts buzzed in my mind. Flirt with the castle guards, rest until the days end, dress in the finest of clothing, consume more wine than necessary after supper when nobody is looking. I wouldn't give him those answers though, if I wanted to make mother happy I would give him the best impression of me. If I didn't, I couldn't imagine he'd want to marry me. "Study the art of ruling the kingdom, though I know I won't be the one inheriting my mother's throne."

"Hm." Loucan thought. "Well, there's no doubt in my mind that your mother wants you to marry into royalty. You'll rule a kingdom one day for sure."

"How about Aquris?" 

"Aquris?--oh."

Loucan had an expression on his face that I couldn't quite make out. What, didn't he come here to ask for my hand?

"Is there a problem, Prince?" I batted my eyelashes, which had been coated in dark black makeup that always drives men crazy along with the other beauty enhancers on my face.

"Uh---" He stuttered and took a slight step backwards. "To be quite honest, I was hoping you would eventually get tired of my presence."

I took a step closer to the prince, who by now had been looking uncomfortable with the situation he was facing. "What do you mean?"

"Princess, don't get me wrong." Loucan shifted his position so he was standing straight. "You are very beautiful. It's just, unlike many other royals and nobles, I'd rather marry for other reasons besides spreading my wealth."

"Huh?" Had that not been the only reasons royalty and nobles wed one another? Don't tell me the prince wanted to fall in love! The words nearly made me sick.

"If we are to wed." He stated. "I'd like to get to know the woman I am eloping with first. And marry for the reason that I would want to spend the rest of my life with her."

The thought puzzled me. Marrying for love? That was a foolish choice---had been proven time and time again. My mother married for love, and looking where that led my father, I'd rather marry someone who would only bring benefit to me.

"You are making a mistake, Loucan." I inched closer to him. "Why would you turn me down?"

"I wouldn't." He admitted. "I just would like to spend some time with you before we elope."

"Sad excuse for a proposal." My eyes narrowed. "And certainly unusual. You're something else, Loucan."

He flashed a pearly white smile, one I wouldn't mind seeing every day next to buckets of coins and miles of land. "So I've been told."