|24|

--Edited (4/4/16)--

"Man is not what he thinks he is, he is what he hides."

||Andreas||

Moving to the side, I pushed a tree branch out of the way so I could see ahead. A blinding light shone through, no doubt the reflection of armor. I swiveled to my right, where Xavier silently watched ahead.

"What on earth were you guys doing?" He whispered to me in the lowest volume possible. Of course it would make sense, considering we sent him off with the intent of bringing Thana back, but ended up changing our minds. "Those are our allies out there!"

"No time to explain. Bottom line is, we are on their side."

"But Emp—"

"Do you really like Revana? Do you really want to remain loyal to her, Xavier?"

He inhaled. "Its our duty. You should know that more than anything."

Shivers were sent down my spine. My father, James, pushed me into becoming a Teran knight like he was. If he were here right now, still alive and well, he would have surely been disappointed. I sighed and pushed the thought from my mind.

"Do you believe everything Revana wants you to do? Or says?"

"No. But that doesn—"

"Would you much rather prefer someone else on the throne who isn't a bad person? Like the princess?"

He didn't answer. His eyes dodged back and forth, keeping his eye out on the soldiers passing by.

"Guys..." A light whisper came from behind us.

Luke and Joel sat back to back with us. "What?"

"Shut up."

Xavier muttered something under his breath and adjusted his seating on the grass. I looked away, attention focused on the men in front of us. They didn't see us, in fact, hadn't seen us for the long time they stood there. Puzzled looks were on their faces.

One of my old comrades face contorted in confusion. Another one shuffled their feet around, kicking a rock and causing it to skid across the dirt. I don't recall their names. I don't even think I learned them at all for that matter, I never really bothered to learn Xavier, Joel, and Luke's names until recently. The only person I bothered to learn was Kyna, as bossy and annoying she was.

Oh, Kyna would throw a fit when she finds out what I'm doing.

"Should we head back?" One soldier said while peaking threw a bush on the complete other side of area.

"Revana will have our heads." Another one brought up. He looked like he was about to shit himself.

"Maybe if we just say Xavier and the others have this all under control. That they have the princess. She won't be as mad."

"Idiots." A tall older looking man with the finest suit of armor crossed his arms and rolled his eyes.

"Yes, but when she finds out we were all lying-"

A short, fat man cleared his throat and stroked his beard. "If she finds out."

"Not now, you blubbering imbecile."

The short fat man's mouth closed shut. I wonder how this guy got the proper training to be one of the Empress's knight.

The tall, older, and clearly meaner man spoke. "The truth is what the Empress seeks. And the truth is what she'll get."

"B-but aren't you scared to get in trouble?"

"The Empress wouldn't so much as to touch me, I'm one of her most trusted men. Besides, I'm not the one who lost them."

The five other men's eyes widened and their skin looked as pale as a ghost.

Luke's annoying chuckle pierced my ears as he nudged me with his elbow. Yeah sure, this is totally hilarious.

"Come on, men. We have a duty to do." The man walked in the opposite direction, causing the others to nervously follow him.

I peaked out of the bushes, making sure all was clear before stepping out into the open. Bursts of laughter came from the two idiots, kneeling on the ground and holding their stomachs.

I swear, Joel and Luke will be the death of me. Xavier and I stood with blank expressions on our faces, though Xavier's purple eyes were laced with the needing to chop off their heads.

"We have a duty to do." Joel laughed, putting emphasize on the word duty, implying something else.

"You guys are such children." Xavier rolled his eyes.

"You trying to brawl? I swear let's go, you me right now—"

A punch in the face sent Joel flying backwards.

Xavier's fist was stained with dirt and blood. He acted like it was nothing when he dusted it off his knuckle.

"Guys..."

Luke pointed at Joel, laughing at his expense. Xavier kicked him under the chin, causing him to flail backwards much like Joel had. To be fair, he had been asking for it.

"It's time to get serious." I firmly stated as the two sobbed in pain. "We have to find the others."

"If they hadn't run off without us, that is. They could have been lying." Xavier pointed out.

I shook my head. Sure, I hadn't talked much with Thana. But I knew enough about her to know she wouldn't go back on her word. She would want to find us and let us in on her plan.

I didn't have much of a good reason to help. All I had was the fact I hated Revana and the fact that I had to spend most of my childhood slaving away as an apprentice, when I should have been running around, playing, and in my mother's arms.

Revana made it clear that she didn't want my mother in my father or my life anymore, sending her away when I was only three years old. "She's a distraction." She would say. "I know whats best for you, because I care about you."

Perhaps I have more of a reason then I thought.

"If you say so." Xavier said. "I guess we better be going then, after Luke and Joel decide they want to stop being pussies and get up."

"Hey! Watch that mouth Xavier, or I'll have to get your mother!"

"Like you're one to speak."

I laughed. "Sounds good."

---Don't forget to vote, comment, & share!!---