|12|

--Edited (4/3/16)--

"Inside each of us, there is the seed of both good and evil. It's constant struggle as to which one will win. And one cannot exist without the other."

||Thana||

When he grinned at me, I could feel the life drain out of my body. The look in his eyes was beautiful yet sinister, making me want to look away more than anything. There was something mischievous beyond the way he looked at me, and no word would be strong enough to describe how much I hated it. Who knew the look of an eight year old—the same age I was—could be so horrifying.

He took my hand and kissed it, like any other gentleman —er, gentleboy, technically—would do. He slightly tilted his head upward. " I am Prince Owen of Aldema. Pleased to make your acquaintance, Princess Thana."

I half smiled as a reply.

"I'm sure you have, but I shall ask anyway...I assume you been informed about our betrothal?"

"Our... our what?" I batted my eyes, confused at what he was telling me. What betrothal?

"We are engaged. I would have assumed you would have been noted of this information."

I batted my eyes again. "No, it would seem I wasn't informed. My dearest apologies, Prince Owen."

"Just call me Owen." He smirked, and I felt fear dominate my other emotions just like it had before.

"But that is disrespectful, don't you agree?"

Not that I really give a care about respecting the likes of him, but I was always taught by my maids and anyone else who wasn't my mother or sister how to be a respectful and proper girl.

It despised me more than I despised him that I couldn't at least give him a second chance to prove he wasn't a bad fellow. I had decided I hated him the moment he walked through the castle doors. I told myself I sensed it—that he wasn't a good person. But instincts can be wrong.

So I suppose I'll give him one last chance.

"We're going to be wed someday. I don't see a problem, as long as we're not around other people whose importance we value." He then stroked my hair and smiled. "Such as your mother."

See, that wasn't so bad. Besides the fact he was touching me.

I nodded my head. "And you, in return, are allowed to just call me Thana."

Owen grinned. "Thats quite the privilege. I thank you." He finally let go of my hair and turned away. "What lovely dark hair you have. I haven't seen anything like it. Much like a raven, don't you think?"

I've heard the same thing time and time again by my maids and other fellow who work in the castle, but this time I felt uneasy about the compliment.

I dismissed the feeling and thanked Owen as he walked away.

"What a nice guy." Myra said from behind me. I turned around to find her fanning herself and lifting her head high enough so she could watch him stroll out. "Acts mature for his age. And I'm sure he'll be attractive when he gets older."