FIVE FINGER RULES

Start from the beginning

He reaches my table, picks up the books, huffs, and leaves, not sparing a second glance at my direction. I didn't realize that I had been staring at his retreating silhouette until Vida snapped her fingers at my face.

"Day dreaming huh?" She asks. I nod in answer and go back to stare at the book in my hand instead. Oh, did I mention the fact that the book has a blue cover?

••••••••

One week has rolled by and I still get calls from my parents every evening to receive my daily update of rules that goes on for 30 minutes. I barely listen to their rants and I just hum at everything they say.

Uni is so fun that I barely knew the week had flown by, and it's finally the weekend.

Plans for the weekend:

1. Movie night Friday.

2. Job hunting Saturday.

3. Sleepover Sunday.

I'm going for movies tonight!

Yaay! Movies = Fun.

In my three year college life, I was allowed to the movies only once. And that didn't end without mum's rants of spending money like water.

I am jumping in my bed up and down squealing in excitement and I'm floating in my own happy bubble. Someone has to pop it with their fingers to burst it.

"Don't break the cot!" Vida yells at me.

"I" *jump* "Don't" *jump* "Care!" *jump* *jump* *jump*

Bouncing on my bed is now my favorite hobby. Up and down, up and down, endlessly. I continue till my back is sore. I get down, rubbing my back in the process and start hunting for my wallet.

I take a piece of paper and write down the following:

According to mum,

THE 5 FINGER RULE FOR MOVIES:

1. Don't watch horror movies or romantic movies.

2. Don't go to late night shows.

3. Don't spend your money on food or popcorn or anything.

4. Go to the movies only once in two months.

5. Don't go to movies with guys.

I finish it with a mosquito at the end, and in case you wonder that's my signature.

I hand over the list to Vida, dancing my signature tribal dance. She gives me a blank stare in return.

"My mum gave me the following rules and we are going to violate every single one of them tonight!" I jump up in joy again.

"Have you invited someone tonight?", she asks. Oops! No I haven't, and I have no plans. The last rule will not be broken.

I shake my head. "Leave that last finger out, we'll do that next time," I say and that's when an idea pops into my brain "Maybe we could find someone there!" I wink at her and start shoving her out of the room.

We reach in time, pick out the best horror movie, and make our way with loads of snacks, that I feel having two arms is not enough. The popcorn bucket stands tall, blocking my line of vision and it's probably about time for me to run into someone.

Not even a second has passed since I thought about running into someone, that I feel a hefty profile run into me, making a popcorn shower.

Popcorn! Popcorn! Popcorn! Yay popcorn!