Surprises

Your P.O.V

I reach the lobby of the housing complex Izaya and I live in and wave at the gentleman manning the front desk. I press a button and the elevator doors slide open, revealing an empty ride up. I hop in and it zooms up skyward. It stops on our floor and I step out, walking down the hall and to the door. I fumble in my pocket for the key and pop it into the lock.

The door opens and suddenly confetti rains down on my head. "What the-!"

I hear a pop and I look up to see Izaya with a party hat and popper in his hand, little glitters flitting out from it. "(Fn)-Chan!"

"Izaya what is this about?!" I say and shake my hair free of the confetti that got trapped in my locks.

He spins and wraps an arm over my shoulders. He pulls out two slips of paper and waves them in my face, "it's about these!~"

I snatch one and see it's a plane ticket to New York.

My mouth hangs open and Izaya leans over in front of my face "celebrating our little vacation!"

"I know you said we'd go on a vacation but I didn't think you'd meant going to a whole different country!"

He smirks and pats my head, "I think it'll do you some good. Trust me."

With the last words I think back to the aftermath of Ren's hideout. Izaya must've noticed my loss of concentration because he tilts my chin up so I look directly at him. "You know, if you wanted confirm that Ren was actually dead... you could've just asked me."

"I told Shinra not to say anything...!" I groan.

I hear a bit of pain in his voice with those words. As if he thought I couldn't come to him. Which really, I couldn't. Or didn't think I could. Mostly because I needed to comprehend it all without his remarks or his little mind tricks he uses to make everything seem like it's no big deal.

He just scares me sometimes.

"Do I?"

My eyes widen, I must've said that last bit out loud! "I- I mean no! Izaya..." I sigh and cover my face with my hands.

"It's okay. A lot of people are scared of me." He pauses, "but I never do anything without a reason (Fn)-Chan. You know that... And keeping you safe was my reason this time."

I look up at him and I feel my cheeks heat up, "I know. But when I think of how you normally are with me and then seeing the kind of real destruction and manipulation you can do... sometimes it just..."

He turns from me and walks towards his big window that overlooks the city. "It just what?"

"It makes me hope I'm not part of something that's going to get me killed. Or you because I don't... I don't want to loose you. Sometimes it scares me since I'm associated with you in the way that I am."

His head snaps to me, his eyes wide. He looks like he's about to say something but then looks down for a moment. When his eyes meet mine again he says, "I'd never let that happen (Fn)."

And I don't know what it was, but my body acted before my brain did. Before I knew it, I had my arms wrapped around him and my head buried in his chest. Seconds later I felt his warm embrace and his chin resting atop my head.