5/Playing Games

Lyra texted Ashlie on her way back home:
~you up?~
Ashlie called as Lyra paid the driver.
"Hey luv, I didn't mean to wake you." Lyra answered sounding upset.
"I'm at work Ly. Are you okay?" Ash asked.
"I don't know." Lyra sighed opening her door.
"What happened?" Ashlie asked solemnly.
"Karma. I'm convinced now that karma is going to kick my ass no matter what and I'm just too stubborn to get out the way." Lyra replied as she dropped her keys and purse on the dresser inside her bedroom.
"Ly?" Ashlie started to get frustrated. Lyra started her bath and added the herbal soak. "Ly, what happened?"
"Larry kissed me in the Dominican Republic, I mean really kissed me. Tonight after Laurent left us alone, he bit me on my neck then cornered me." Lyra's voice wavered.
"Oh Ly," Ashlie's heart was full of anguish for her friend.
"I reminded him not to do that. He said he never bit me before." Lyra looked at the bruise forming on her neck in the mirror then sighed. Lyra sunk into the tub after turning off the water. "He started kissing me and biting my neck. I honestly liked it but when he tried to get between my legs, I pulled his head away." Lyra explained the whole experience and her embarrassed feeling for not seeing it earlier.
"How much did you tell Laurent?" Ashlie asked.
"None of it, I excused myself and left." Lyra started scrubbing her skin.
"Let me get this straight." Ashlie ran down the sequence of events then sighed when Lyra told her she was right. "So you just ran away?" Ashlie summed up.
"Ash, it felt like the girl that two boys bet on, trying to see who can get her into bed first." Lyra leaned her head against the back of the tub.

" Lyra leaned her head against the back of the tub

"Okay but you sound like... Ly he didn't force himself on you, did he?" Ashlie's voice was full of concern.
"What? What are you... Oh. No nothing like that. All he did is what I told you." Lyra reassured her friend walking out the tub.
"Uh-huh, because you say so. I'm telling Q to send the Powderpuffs to handle him right now."
"God knows I love you," Lyra laughed. "Ash I promise I was not raped again and I don't need the puffs to handle anything." Lyra quickly put on her clothes as she heard someone knock at her front door. "I've got to go babe, thanks for listening."
"Okay babe, call me tomorrow." Ash spoke calmly.
"Okay and Ash? Don't say a word to anyone not even your cuddle buddy."
"I won't say a word." Ashlie replied before she hung up.

She peeked through the window beside her door and cursed under her breathe

She peeked through the window beside her door and cursed under her breathe. She pulled her partially wet hair into a messy bun then opened the door for Laurent and Larry. She stood back to let them in noticing Laurent staring at her as he walked in.
'Round 2, Fight!' Lyra thought but kept her mouth shut. She locked the door behind them then sat in the living room across from them. They both looked her over as she waited for them to talk. After a long uncomfortable silence Lyra finally spoke when neither brother uttered a word, "Well?"
"What happened to your neck?" Laurent asked.
"Dog bite." Lyra mumbled glancing away.
"What?" Laurent replied.
"What you say?" Larry asked.
"Laurent, did you think we were dating?" Lyra asked but Laurent looked at Larry.
"Larry did." Laurent answered. Lyra interpreted Larry's eye roll at his brother to mean Laurent wasn't being fully honest. Lyra nodded.
"I thought we could be friends but tonight I realized I was in the middle of some sophomoric competition to get into my pants. Since I'm not interested allow me to wish you both a goodnight and safe travels." Lyra turned to walk back to her front door.
"Wait Ly, it not like that!" Laurent stopped her.
"Ly? Who do you like more?" Larry asked cutting to the chase.
"What kind of question is that?" She asked incredulously, she just told them she wasn't interested. A lie for sure but he wasn't supposed to call her on it.
"We both like you, choose one?" Laurent asked.
"Who I choose?" She stared at Laurent, "In an ideal situation, I wouldn't feel like you were only interested in getting my pants. Maybe I could date one of you and be friends with the other." She looked at Larry. "Under the right conditions maybe I would have enjoyed a vanilla flavored kiss." She continued walking to the door. "However this is far from an ideal situation or conditions. Now. You should take your brother and go." Lyra held her front door open for them and locked it after they left.
'The unmitigated f*cking gall!'
She felt tears roll down her face not because she was sad. No, she was apoplectic bordering on wrathful that she almost fell for their stupid game. Angry she thought for a fraction of a second they seriously cared about her; that Larry could be serious about her.
She turned on music and increased the volume. By the time the first verse was over Lyra's voice was echoing off the walls, trying to soothe herself. She wanted to punch someone, no she wanted to punch Larry. He created this, this mess. She wanted to punch him for how he effortlessly forced his way passed her defenses; how he played her and she let him. She shook her head and decided to clean up her bathroom and bedroom to get her mind to focus on something else.
Lyra woke up five hours later and got dressed to go for her morning run. As she was chosing music for her playlist some one knocked at her door. She looked at the time, 7:30am. She frowned wondering if her neighbors were coming to complain because she had disturbed them last night. She took a quick peek out her window,
'Damn, I think I would have preferred an angry neighbor.' She sighed as she opened her front door.
"Morning." Larry smiled as he leaned against her door jam.
"Morning." Lyra stepped passed him closing her door. She fixed her water pouch on her back. "Well, it was nice to see you again. Goodbye."
"What? You want me to leave?" Larry asked. Lyra smiled starting to stretch for her 5 mile run while Larry stared at her.
"I'm going running." Lyra answered after a long pause. Lyra smirked when Larry started to stretch and warm up too.
After running 1.5 miles, Lyra slowed down seeing Larry seemed to be breathing hard.
"Oh come on! We aren't even running a 12 minute mile! Where's your endurance?" Lyra complained as Larry rolled his eyes. 'Guess I'm not going to be running 5 miles today, I'd be running for hours this continues.' She sighed then moved her water pouch to his back and the straw to his mouth so he could drink. She jogged backwards while he walked until his breathing evened out.