44. Epilogue Part 2

Andi and I have been watching the doctor studying our little girl for a while now. Checking her heartbeat, ears, and eyes. After a moment, he turns to us and I feel my heart beat so hard it hurts. The look on his face makes Andi more worried, much more than when I said something might be wrong with our little girl.

She wraps her arms around my arm, holding it so tightly that I can feel the blood stop running through my veins. Her whole body is trembling next to me. What if our baby is very ill and... won't be here that long. I swallow that awful thought away.

"Well," He says and seem to struggle to find words.

"Your daughter doesn't react to anything that I move in front of her," He waves us over, but I can't move my legs. Andi has to drag me over to my Riley. I watch the old man move his finger in and out in front of our little girl. She do not even blink or look at it. Her eyes are just somewhere else.

"Your Riley can't see." He says, making my mouth drop open in shock.

"W-what?" Andi asks, shaking even more.

"Your daughter is blind." He explains, sorry. I feel my body shake as I clench my hands into fists.

"You have to be fucking kidding me!" I shout in anger.

"Devin!" Andi warns me.

"We come in here with our little girl, thinking the worst and you stand there with that look on your face. Making it seem as if she dying and the only thing that is wrong is that she can't see!" I yell almost on my way to hit the old man down, but Andi puts her hands on my shoulders before I can even take one-step. I feel the tears come down my cheeks, because of all the fury he made in me.

"Don't do things like that!" I tell him as I take the wetness away from my face. He watches me with scared eyes as he nods. I take a deep breath of relief. Riley is not going to die. She just can't see.

Andi wraps her arms around me hard, almost knocking the air out of me. The doctor signal that he will leave us alone for a moment and steps out the door.

"I-it's my fault isn't it?" Andi cry. My eyes narrow with confusion as I push my angel back to look into her eyes, which are full of tears.

"What?" I ask.

"It's my fault that she can't see." She cry even more, and I cup her cheeks.

"No, baby," I smile.

"She can see, much more than we can." I say, but doesn't help, since she snort while rolling her eyes.

"Andi, Riley will see this world differently. Probably more beautiful than we can ever do. I promise you," I smile to her and finally she smile back.

"I would do anything to make our little girl happy." I say as I move out of her embrace to pick up Riley.

"Hey, you." I whisper as kiss her forehead, stepping over to Andi.

"She is lucky though," Andi smile, which makes me look at her confused.

"She has a mom that can sing." She say and I feel my cheeks turn warm as I roll my eyes. I lay my free arm around her back holding her tightly as we both watch our girl that is laying on my arm. 

Her eyes moving, but can't see anything, maybe some lights, but imagine everything she can hear and smell. I chuckle by the thought of when she will learn to walk and run. The view of her running into a wall in my mind makes me smile, I just can't help it. I might be the worst mom in the history.

"What?" Andi asks in confusion and I kiss Riley on her forehead.

"Our little Daredevil." I smile.

The end. 

The series:

I'll Reach for you

I'll Follow you

I'll Always Promise you

Sleeping Romance