8. You are young

"Why is it that almost every time you come here, you are always hurt?" I wonder as I hand her an ice bag so she can put it over her blue eye.

"Thank you." She smile with her real smile. Not the teasing one that drives me insane, but the one that makes my stomach turn upside down. Maybe that is not better.

"Devin, why are you always wounded?" I ask seriously, but also worried. She only rolls her eyes as she moves out of my barstool. I watch her stumble to the big window looking out over the city.

"Devin," I step towards her and grab her hand to make her gaze end up on me.

"What happened?" I ask strict, and I know by the sound of my voice that she is going to answer me. We have known each other for almost a month now, and the look in her blue eyes makes me know she is surrendering to me.

She likes me and I know that. Not by that she has told it, like every day, but the way she watch me and talk to me. Devin sigh and I smile, because she gave in to me.

"It... something went wrong." She just says which makes me roll my eyes.

"Devin." I say with the same firm voice. She closes her eyes as she growl in frustration.

"There was this person that was... um..." I put my hand over her mouth, because I don't want to hear it. It hurts, to know what she does. Sleeping with other people for money.

"Why do you do what you do?" I ask angry, because I am worried. She only shrugs as she takes the ice away from her eye. I cup her cheeks to study her. It looks awful.

"Because I need money." She moves out of my hands, annoyed and sit down on the couch.

"You are young. Don't you have parents?" I ask and she snorts while rolling her eyes.

"Yeah, I have a dad. He might not be the dad of the year, but he is okay." She smile and it affects me. It's good to know she has someone.

"Then why do you need money?" I wonder.

"As I said not the dad of the year." She says raising her eyebrows and I nod slowly.

"Okay, but you don't need to..."

"Yeah, I do." She interrupts me. I lay my hand over my face of frustration. She don't have to do what she does. Devin deserves better, and I know it. She is a sweet girl and well, maybe a little annoying, but still better than most.

"No, you don't." I argue and she raises her eyebrow.

"Why do you care?" She asks and I know by the sound of her voice that she is trying to hide her fury. I just shake my head lightly as I snort.

"You don't think I care for you?" I wonder a little hurt by her words, because I do care for her. She might be an ass sometimes, but I don't like the worriedness she gives me. When she is not here, because I know what she does, and she comes her hurt sometimes.

Maybe next time she will be worse. I don't want her like this. Not that I want to change her, but I don't want her to drink, smoke or work like she does.

I step out of the couch and look out the window. Watching the busy people moving around in the darkness and the white snow.

"So you like me?" She asks, unsure and I roll my eyes.

"You like me," She pause.

"Then why won't you sleep with..."

"I am not going to sleep with you!" I shout as I turn to her and it makes her jump in her seat.

"I like you Devin, but I can never love you!" I yell and she seems confused.

"What has love to do with this?" She asks and I clench my teeth.

"OUT!" I shout as I point at my front door, but she does not move.

"OUT!" I yell again. She rolls her eyes as she moves out of the couch.

"Fine." She mutter and step out the door, and shut it hard. I close my eyes for a short moment as I sigh. Yeah, I guess I was right. She just wanted me in the damn bed.