12. Grumpy ass

"Andi!" I hear my name being called from my little sister from upstairs in my parents' house. But I don't bother to answer. I am still upset about the situation between Devin and me.

"Your sister is calling for you." Ma says as she sits down next to me, but she seems worried.

"I know." I shrug.

"Are you okay?" She asks, worried and I smile to her.

"Yeah. I'm fine." I say, but get interrupted by my phone.

"Hello?" I answer confused, as I don't recognize the number.

"Andi?" The sound of Devin's shaking voice makes me stand up on my feet with my heart in my throat.

"Yes." I say, walking back and forth in worry.

"C-can you pick me up?" She asks and I automatically look for my car keys in my pocket.

"Where?" I ask as I step over to the front door.

"Hospital." She answer and my eyes widen with terror.
"Are you okay?" I wonder as I just wave to ma before leaving down to my car in a hurry.

"Yeah. Can you come and get me?" She asks unsure.

"Of course, but it will take a while."
"It's okay. I will wait outside." She says and before I can even say something, she hangs up.

My mind spins with worry as I start driving. Devin might have said she was fine, but clearly, something was wrong. Especially, since she is in the hospital. I can also feel the anger in me. I still don't understand why she does what she does. Now, I just hope she has taken the hint to quit. She can't live like this. Almost every time she comes to me, she is hurt, but now the question is how much. If she does not stop soon, I don't think I can handle looking at her in pain. Especially, since I... care for her. Dammit!

I stop in front of the hospital and not long after Devin steps in with her hood over her head. I sigh as I try to drag down her hoodie, but she turns to the side staring out the window.

"Devin?"

"Yeah?" She sigh.

"Let me see." I say strict, but keep my voice low. Devin turns to me slowly and I push down her hoodie. My heart drops down to my lower stomach, by the look of her face. I cup her cheek to force her to watch me. Her temple is bruised with an awful cut, which has been stitched.

"Please don't yell," She shrinks.

"My head hurts." Devin says, avoiding my gaze. I really wanted to shout at her, but I know it is not going to make anything better. She would probably have stepped out the door. I nod as I start driving home.

"Besides your head, are you okay?" I ask lightly, watching her as I stop at a red light. She nods barely.

"Don't lie to me." I say, before I start moving the car again on the green light. Devin doesn't say anything. I take the hint, to just keep it silent.

I watch Devin struggle to get out of my car. I reach her my hand, but she rejects it. Something else is hurting, but she tries to keep it hidden. As stubborn as I am, I am going to find out. Even if I have to force it, out. After looking at Devin trying to stand on her feet all the way up to my apartment. She lies down in my couch and groan in agony. I take her feet and lay them down on lap.

"Are you going to say something?" I wonder worried and I know she can see that I am pleading to her, but even though. She shakes her head.

"Devin," I get out of my seat and bend down on my knees next to her.

"I know that is it not just your face that is hurting," I cup her cheek carefully studying her wounded skin.

"There is something else as well." I beg. Devin sigh, looking away as she shakes her head, annoyed with me now. Then, amazingly enough, she drags up her sweater and my eyes widen by the view of how bruised she is over her ribs.

"Oh my god! Devin if those are broken. Then we need to go back..."

"They are not broken, just bruised." She just shrugs.

"You know," I smile as I take her hand in mine.

"I was a shitty baby when I was in my mom's stomach," I chuckle. Devin watches me now confused.

"I kicked her so hard I broke her ribs." I tell her, and a light smile comes across her face.

"I bet you are still shitty." Devin jokes, with a soft laugh.

"Not funny." I grumble as I grab the blanket and throw it in her face. She chuckles as she laid the blanket over herself.

"See you in the morning." I smile and she nods lightly before resting her head on the pillow, staring at the roof.

"Goodnight." She says thoughtfully as she keeps on looking at the ceiling. I watch her for a moment with worry, hoping she will stay a while. Before she will head out again. Doing what she does. I would give anything to make her stop. Sighing, I step into my bedroom and lay down in my warm bed. How can someone so beautiful, live on the wrong side of heaven?

"Andi?" I hear a whispering voice call my name.

"Hmm?" I mumble down in my pillow, trying to wake up from my bed.

"I-I think there is something wrong with the heat in your living room." Devin says trembling. I yawn before I look up at her.

"What?" I ask, rubbing my eyes before getting out of my bed. Devin follows me into the living room, where it is freezing.

"Goddammit!" I shout in annoyance. This is not the first time is has happened. I sigh as I itch the top of my head. I turn to Devin who is standing with the blanket around her. For a moment, I thought she might have been joking. Just so, she could lie in the same bed with me, but I knew that this is not the first time that the heat has just turned itself off.

"You know where my bed is." I mutter as I step into my bedroom again to lie down. Not long after I feel Devin lay down behind me.

"Don't even try." I mumble as she laid her arm over me. She sighs loudly and I hear her turn her back to me.

"Grumpy ass." She mutter and I roll my eyes of her childishness. If Devin can't get what she wants, she is pouting like a little child. She can't get everything she wishes for. Especially not me.