14. You have to be kidding me

After I finished work and getting back home. I called the high school and asked if they could take in Devin, luckily they have a spot for, but I couldn't really give them any information about Devin. The only info I have on Devin is her first name and when she dropped out of school. So, I asked if it was okay to wait until Devin gives me something more about herself. I just hope she will actually come back that I didn't scare her away.

I wake up to a knock on my door.

"Oh god." I mutter to myself, it's the middle of the night and she couldn't have come any later than this.

"Devin, I swear if you were out doing..." I open the door. Devin stands there with a smile as she sees me.

"Um, sorry that it's late, but," She looks down at the bag that is hanging in front of her stomach.

"Is it okay, if I just stayed here?" Devin wonder, and I take a deep breath in relief that she is okay, but most of all that she is asking me for her to stay here.

"Of course." I smile as I make space for her to come inside. She steps over to the couch and sit down with the bag on the floor.

"I called the school." I say as I sit down next to her.

"Yeah?"

"There is a place for you, but they just need some information about you. Which school you went to before you dropped out, your full name, just the regular." I smile to her and she nods.

"Okay, umm, I think I have some papers at home," She itch the side of her head as she is thinking.

"I pick them up tomorrow." She says with a yawn.

"I can drive you." I offer. Devin snorts lightly and then nod.

"That would be great." She smile before I throw her the blanket and a pillow.

"Goodnight."

"Goodnight, Andi."

"You have to be kidding me." I mutter after waking up with Devin's right hand on my boob again. I take it off me and turn around ready to yell at her, but all the anger fades as I watch the younger girl sleeping, so peaceful. I cup her cheek and brush her dark brown hair behind her ear. Before I stroke her lightly over the scar on her temple where she got it some few weeks ago. Then I touch the pointy piercing on her eyebrow.

Devin opens her eyes barely, but she seems too tired to care. She takes a deep breath and close her eyes again. My eyes widen as she wraps her arm around me and rest her cheek onto my chest.

"O-okay." I say a little stunned, but just close my eyes as well. It feels good, her warmth and the way she is clinging onto me.

I am sitting in my car waiting for Devin to come out of her dad's house. She has been there for a while, but it's okay. I can wait. It's good that she is going to finish school, well at least try. If she quits again, I am going to kick her ass so hard that she just has to go back.

I don't care if we have to stay up all night just to finish some homework. She needs to graduate if she wants to come further in this life. Devin will regret it when she becomes older if she doesn't. I jump in my seat as Devin opens the door.

"Is this the right ones?" She wonders as she hands me some papers. I look through them.

"Yeah." I smile as I give them back to her and start driving to the school. I thought it might be better to just go there, then to mail the papers and call them again. We take everything at once. She might get in earlier as well.

I gaze at Devin for a moment. Noticing that her leg is shaking and she is just staring frozen straightforward.

"Hey," I take her sweaty hand in mine.

"It will be okay." I smile, promising to her, which makes her take a deep breath.

"I-I..."

"Calm down." I chuckle, making circles on her hand with my thumb.

Fifteen minutes later, I stop the car in front of the school. Devin's leg is shaking even more. She is staring out the window, where we can see the younger students hanging out with their friends.

"Hey, it will be just fine. We are just going to hand them these papers and then we will see what happens." I smile, Devin just nods as she steps out of the car. She follows me into the building.

I turn to look at her, but she doesn't meet my gaze. She is walking with her head hanging low, looking around at the younger ones with her hands hidden in the pockets of her leather jacket. I have never seen her so intimidated before, and that worries me.

Some of the students are looking at her, questioning who she is, but we just keep on walking to the principal's office. I knock on the door before entering. Where a middle-aged woman stands up from her chair with her brown hair up in a tight ponytail.

"Hi, I'm Andi Mason. I called you yesterday about Devin." I smile as I look back at the younger girl. Who is kind of hiding behind me. I step to the side for the older woman to see her.

"Oh, yeah, that's right. I'm Lara Banks" She smiles kindly to us and offer us to sit down on the two chairs in front of her desk.

"So, you are Devin?" Lara asks with the same friendly smile. Devin just nods lightly, which cause me to roll my eyes and she notices.

"Yeah. I'm Devin." She answer, and I kick her in the leg. Devin sighs.

"Yes, I'm Devin Jocelyn Ward." She says, watching me with annoyance, but I am more surprised by her middle name. Then Devin hands Miss. Banks her papers.

"It's nice to meet you Devin." Lara says as she takes the papers with Devin's school information.

"May I ask why you didn't choose to go back to your old school?" Miss. Banks wonder, curious.

"I just," Devin itches the side of her head.

"Need a fresh start." She shrugs

"Okay, just glad that you are willing to continue school again," Lara smiles to Devin.

"Well, I will start working on these," The older woman takes the papers to lay them in front of her.

"And then I will call when we are ready to take you in. Those that sound good?" She asks. Devin and I both nod to her words.

"Okay, then I see you later." She says standing up. We shake hands and then say goodbye. Devin and I step down the hallway, watching the youth laughing and talking about random things. I remember my time in high school, but I don't miss it. I was never a party girl. I was too busy playing soccer and spending my time with my first girlfriend.

No, I don't miss that time at all.

"You okay?" I ask Devin and she nods.

"Just nervous." She shrugs, but stops walking as a guy with brown eyes star her up and down. He is wearing a blue football jacket, but also a smug smile on his face. His hair is blond, full of wax making it look shinier.

"What?" Devin asks, annoyed by him, which makes him snort with a wide smile.

"Nothing." He shakes his head, but still he goes on Devin's nerves with that sly face of his.

"Good." She says and just keep on walking. I rush forward to reach her.

"Well, that was a good way to make some friends." I say raising my eyebrow. She gives me a look.

"Do I seem like I am interested in making some friends here?" She asks offended.

"You kind of need to, Devin. You are going to be here for two years and if you want to survive, then you need to get some friends." I advise her.

"I have you." She says as she steps out the off the school. Her words make me stop in my place. I smile a little of her sweet words, but shake it off as I follow her down to the car.

"Yeah, but you need someone else as well." I tell her, but she just ignores my words as she steps into the car.