"You mean..." I gasped. "You're the Alpha?" 

Jongin doesn't seem to like where my questions are going because he really looks uncomfortable now. His opened his eyes but he's not looking at me. He's staring somewhere in the cottage. 

"Not yet." He answered. 

I decided to not dwell on the Alpha thing though I am quite amazed. I can't believe I'm spending my time with the soon-to-be Alpha of the werewolf pack in our village and he's in love with me. I can't even believe that this is real. 

"How do you choose the Beta and Omega?" I asked instead. 

With that, Jongin's mood seem to lighten. "Easy." He said and I can tell he's grinning. "We reach maturity at twelve. In that age, we could already turn into human and wolf whenever we feel like it. The newly found wolves, those from another packs, will undergo a series of... Tests." 

That made me even more curious and that sent a new wave of questions in my head. I think he's losing me. 

"What tests?" I can't help asking. 

Jongin shrugged and his whole body moves. "Fights." he said. "Mostly fights. The strongest wins and he'll have the opportunity to choose his mate. Anyone he likes. Also, he'll be the Beta. Second strongest is the Omega. Not much privileges." 

"So... who won?" I asked. 

"You guess." Jongin said and his eyes glanced at me. 

I gave him a look. "Don't make me guess." I said, rolling my eyes. "You're losing me and I don't want another wave of confusion, Kim Jongin." 

I heard his chuckle. "The son of an aApha from the west, my friend, Park Chanyeol." He said. "And obviously, he chose Byun Baekhyun as his mate."

"And the Omega...?" I raised a brow. So, Chanyeol and Baekhyun has high ranks in their pack. And not just high, Chanyeol has been the strongest among the other wolves. Quite amazing. 

With my question, Jongin's eyes darkened. "Kris Wu." he hissed. "He's the Omega. Chanyeol beat him during the last test. The fight was... bloody." 

I felt a shiver ran down my spine and Jongin pulled me closer with his tail. 

"Who's his mate?" 

Jongin slowly shook his head. "None." He said in a low voice like he feels a certain pity for the omega. "He likes someone. But Chanyeol already beat him to it. Again." 

My eyes went wide in surprise. I thought wolves already have a certain mate from the day they were born. It was what the books say. It was what the myths tell.