Prologue : Ups and downs

© All rights reserved by yours truly! - Fathy Light.

___

"Life is all about comfort. Relax and live a little." - Alex

"I can't just relax, man. I have to run and run until I am finally there. Where I want to be." - Logan

~~~

Prologue : Ups and downs.

Life is not really something any one can guess before it actually happens.

Life sometimes throw things we could not catch up with. It'd happen. With every one. For everyone.

Imagine a giant wheel, and Alexandra was at the very top of it and Logan was somewhere in the middle.

And then it happened. Someone said, spin. The switch was started.

It started to spin and spin and spin. Round and round and round and round.

Head spinning, stomach twisting, they both came to a stop.

She looked down. She was at the very bottom. He looked up and the sky was closer to his hand.

***

(Logan - seven years ago)

Sweaty bodies. ✔

One too many people in a small dorm room. ✔

Mattress the texture of rock. And ✔

He stared at the laptop in front of him, the one he borrowed from Daniel. It was old, and was on the verge of extinction.

As he typed an essay about financial management, he looked around himself and promised himself that one day or the other, he would live the life. The one Matt Evans and Daniel Anderson and Finley Collins lived.

Except Daniel, the other two always had a snooty look on their faces as if they were above Logan and Logan hated it. Hated to be looked down.

One day... He wanted to look down. Not at people, but at the world.

And maybe, at Finley and Matt.

°

(Logan - four years ago)

"You are a newbie. How can we trust you to build our home with the same precision and quality as the other already established builders would do?"

He had heard these line more than enough time. But he knew the answer to it, as well, one he sincerely believed in.

"Because I want to grow. They are already in a place they can't go up. Me, I want to go up and so I will work harder to show you, to show every one that I can. That I am good enough to be here."

"Hmm." The man looked at him, his eyes narrowed.

"You will do. Go on, impress me." Logan smiled at him. This here was his first opportunity and he wanted to put everything he have in it.

"Thank you."

"Don't thank me yet. Thank me when I am completely amazed by what you did for me. I am only paying you if I am satisfied with the house, young man."

"Yes sir."

***

(Alexandra - 3 years ago)

Foam mattress. ✔

Air conditioning. ✔

Her very own coffee maker. ✔

And a brand new laptop. ✔