Part 9

Connie was sat in her office two weeks later thinking about Jacob, she had realised that she was completely head over heels in love with him.
She was distracted from her thoughts by her phone beeping.
She sighed and turned it over then she became very pale.
"Shit" she muttered.
She was late, a week late.
But she couldn't be, could she?
She'd started taking the pill again after the first time in her office.
She shoved her phone into her bag then picked it up and quickly left her office.
"I need to run some errands, I'll be back in fifteen minutes" she said to Clarice.
"Of course Ms Chase" Clarice said with a nod.

Connie drove to the nearest pharmacy then quickly went down to the right isle.
Pregnancy tests.
She picked up three, she wanted to be sure. She couldn't risk having a blood test at the hospital, someone might of noticed and that was the last thing she wanted.
No one new about her and Jacob, so if someone found out she might be pregnant and let it slip to him then it would be a disaster.
Connie paid for the tests then put them all in her handbag before driving back to work.
"Please tell people I'm not to be disturbed" She said to Clarice.
She went into her office, locked the other door that staff from the wards usually entered via then went into her private bathroom.
She stood around for a couple of minutes, contemplating taking the tests but she realised there was no point putting it off.
If she was pregnant then she was pregnant, it wouldn't matter if she took it then or five hours later so she ripped open the boxes.

Ten minutes later she finally emerged from the toilet with tears streaming down her face.
Connie was pregnant.
She was terrified, terrified of being a bad mother again, of what Grace would think, but mostly of how Jacob would react.
They had only properly been together two weeks. He cared about her, he'd told her that, but weather he loved her was an entirely different story.
She had no idea if he felt the same as her, no idea if he even wanted kids.
They hadn't ever discussed it, and they hadn't really spoke about Grace since he first found out.

A knock on her door startled her and she quickly shoved the tests into her bag.
"Connie? Are you in there?" she heard Jacob say.
There was no way to hide the fact that she was crying so she quickly took her bag and walked out of the other door.
Clarice was alarmed at her boss coming out crying but decided not to mention it.
"I'm going home" Connie told her before quickly walking down the corridor to the exit.
Jacob came round to the other side of her office not long after and went to knock on her door.
"She's gone home" Clarice informed him.

Jacob was confused, he was supposed to be taking her home. Why would she of left and not told him anything?
"When? Did she say why?" Jacob asked.
"About five minutes ago, and no she didn't but would you ask for a reason when she's clearly upset? She's scary enough as it is" Clarice said.
"She's upset?" he said.
"Yeah, look I've said to much. If you need her for something really important then I'll leave a message on her answer machine, if not then wait till tomorrow" Clarice told him.
"I'll wait, thanks Clarice" he said before wandering back off towards the ward.

He left an hour later after clearing it with Nurse Costoya, telling her he had a family emergency, then he drove to Connie's.
He let himself in with the spare key she had given him then looked around the house.
The whole house was silent but he knew she was in, her car was outside, shoes by the door and coat on the coat stand.
"Connie?" he asked but didn't get a response.
He was certain she wasn't down stairs so made his way upstairs to her bedroom and was shocked at the sight in front of him.

Connie was lying on the bed asleep, her face red from crying.
She was no longer wearing her work clothes, just a vest top and some shorts with a blanket over her legs.
Jacob moved closer to the bed and noticed the position of her right hand.
It didn't look accidental to him, her hand was lying underneath her vest top on her abdomen.
"Oh Connie" he said softly as he quietly climbed onto the bed next to her.
She didn't wake up, just moved her head slightly into the crook of his neck.
He slipped his hand up her top gently and placed it on hers before lacing their fingers together.
"I love you" he whispered before placing a gentle kiss to her shoulder and closing his eyes.