Chapter 45 - An Important Question

*Vida's POV*

"How do you know Vanessa?", I ask.
Old memories come back.
Tears start coming down my eyes. 

Liam comes, kneels beside me and says " Vida! Please don't cry, I know, everything. I'll explain to you everything. Please don't cry. I know that shouldn't have reminded you of her.
But, your mom left this dress for you. Vanessa wanted you to wear this dress on your first date with me.",

Vanessa. Vanessa Horan was my sister. She was one year elder than me.
Five years ago, she died because of cancer. I cannot forget that incident.
I was studying in London and my parents were so upset after she died. 

I didn't cry at that time because I know that she'll always be there with me. No matter what happens. 

She was the one who taught me the biggest lesson in my life which is to be happy and to be yourself. Many people don't know about Vanessa because she used to stay in hostels when we were in India. That's why Ritu also doesn't know about her.

"How do you know Vanessa?", I ask as tears rolled down my cheek.
" I'm from Wolverhampton and when you were studying in London, your Dad got transferred to Wolverhampton. I was your neighbour. They didn't tell you about them staying in Wolverhampton because that is the place where Vanessa was there in the last days of her life.", he says.

"I know you never came to Wolverhampton. But, Vanessa and I were best friends. I would always search for love and ask her for advice to make girls like me", says Liam.

"Once, she and I went out and suddenly, she felt breathless. We took her to the hospital. The doctors told her condition was critical. She was in the hospital for four days.
Doctors told them that they won't be able to save her. Your parents, my parents know each other because they were friends from college.", he says,

"You had your final exams, so your parents decided not to tell you about this", he says.

  "You know what was her last wish?", asks Liam.
"What?", I ask.

" She told me to marry you", he says.
"What?", I say.

" Yeah! It was her last wish. I knew you from that time. She told me about you and how perfect you were for me. After she died I lost all hope of finding love. But the first time I met you, I was surprised and I understood why your sister told me that I'd find my love in you", says Liam.

"You entered my life five years ago. Did your parents force you to apply for a job in my management? ", he asks.

" Yeah!", I say.

"It's because for you to come closer to me. Your father and my father made the pact in the hospital in front of your sister. Your mom and my mom knew each other from college days. So, they thought you'd be perfect for me", says Liam. 
"When you applied, I was happy that they selected you, it felt like it was meant to be", says Liam.

"I made Niall call you after you got the job, I did not know at that time that he was your cousin", 

" So, my life was planned, is it not destiny?", I say.

"It is destiny. You and I falling in love with each other, Vanessa was mature and understanding that she gave me advice which no one of her age would give me. I didn't plan HATW. I didn't plan this engagement thing", says Liam.

"Our parents and friends did everything. So, now! I'm thankful to my best friend go showing me the right way for a guy like me. She always told me that you were better than her. I agree with her", says Liam.

"So! To fulfil my bestie's last wish", he says removing a small velvet box from his pocket. 

" Vida Horan, will you marry me?", he asks.

My jaw drops. 

"You changed my life in a way I thought no one would. I know, you must be freaking out, but hear me out", says Liam.

"You cannot plan everything in your life and there is no guarantee for anything. I love you and I want to spend the rest of my life with you. I realised that in a very short span", he says. 

"So, will you marry me?", he asks. 

"Liam! Before I give you an answer, I have to tell you something.", I say.

" What is it?", he asks.

"I forgot about Vanessa and moved on because if I'd be stuck there I'd always be crying. She always told me to let go and move on. Vanessa taught me all the lessons of my life.
Why didn't she tell me about her cancer and all this? I'd do anything for her", I say.
" Because everything has a right time, Vida", says Liam. 

"So will you marry me or not?", he says.

"Liam, it's our first date", I say. 

"It's fine, I don't want you to be my girlfriend, I want you to be my wife", he says.

" Yes! I will!", I say without thinking one more minute.
He puts the ring on my ring finger.
I smile.
He wipes my tears and says "I love you."
"I love you too", I say.

He comes closer to me and kisses me.
This time, I didn't want to stop kissing him. 

He pulls away and says " check the time ", he says.
I checked the time it was 12:01.
" It's 12:01", I say.
"Today is Vanessa's birthday, so I thought to make it memorable", he says.
"Aww!", I say.

" Anyways! You've got one more surprise! Get up", he says
"Now what?", I say getting up.
" Close your eyes", he says.

I close my eyes.

"Three....two..one, lights on", he says.

I open my eyes. 

Harry, Louis, Niall, Ashley, Ritu and Richard walk in along with my parents and Liam's parents. 

"Congratulations!", say everyone in unison. 

They come and hug me and Liam. 

"Finally!", says my mom. 

"We're not married yet, mom, chill", I say. 

"Hi Dad", I say hugging him. 

"So happy for you, darling", he says. I smile. 

"We are so happy for you", says Karen. 

"We have a surprise for you and Liam", says Liam's father.