Bloody Head

Jane wore a yellow ribbon around her neck everyday. And I mean everyday, rain or shine, whether it matched her outfit or not. It annoyed her best friend Johnny after awhile. He was her next door neighbor and had known Jane since she was three.

"Why do you wear that yellow ribbon around your neck, Jane?" he'd ask her every day. But she wouldn't tell him.

In spite of that Johnny thought she was cute. Jane would always say yes when he asked her out or to do something. And she always wore a yellow dress to match the ribbon around her neck.

It finally occurred to Johnny that he and Jane were going steady, and he still didn't know why she wore the yellow ribbon around her neck. So he asked her about it yet again, and yet again she did not tell him. "Maybe someday I'll tell you about it," she'd reply. Someday! That answer annoyed Johnny, but he shrugged it off, because Jane was so cute and fun to be with.

One day Johnny proposed to Jane and was accepted. They planned a big wedding, and Jane hinted that she might tell him about the yellow ribbon around her neck on their wedding day.

It was not until Jane caught cancer and knew she would die soon, that she revealed her secret. Jane said with a sad smile: "Okay Johnny, you can go ahead and untie it."

With shaking hands, Johnny fumbled for the knot and untied the yellow ribbon around his wife's neck.

And Jane's head fell off.