ch.55 Da

Another three months had passed and Karter's name slowly got pushed up on the list for upcoming trials. Of course, he won't be placed on death row automatically, no matter how badly he deserves it. It was aggrivating to just sit there and wait for him to be punished when he deserved every pang of pain and torture right here, right now.

But, at least he had the decency to keep to himself. I didn't see him around and he knew better than to try something on me or nonna or the rest of us with Harry and the gang brooding over us...

It was Febuary first, the day of Darcy's first birthday party. It was also Harry's birthday but it seemed that everyone had forgotten and only focused on Darcy, which was perfectly fine for Harry. But I wasn't going to let him turn 25 with no semblance of a gift. I knew exactly the kind of gift he wanted and I was determined no to let anything stop me from giving it to him after the party.

***

I drove Darcy, Becky, and myself to the restaurant and Danny nearly ran over to us when we walked in. Since we still owned the place, Danny was in charge and he took some shifts after his construction work, which was becoming less laborous and more artistic. (His boss had accepted some of his designs).

"I'd say you all are my favorite girls, but then Gem would be mad" Danny teased. Gemma came over to us and got us drinks. We sat down at an empty table and Danny looked at me expectantly.

I eyed Danny a bit curiously. He still hadn't proposed and if he waited another day, I would take his bloody ring and his damn drawing and shove them in Gemma's face.

She would say 'yes,' Danny would be excited and then they could start their family, too.

Danny cleared his throat loudly, begging me not ot bring up anything about the ring. 

I sighed a bit dramatically.

Nonna peaked her head of the kitchen and hustled over to greet us.

"And I'd ask what you're doing here so early but I don't want Darcy to go home" Nonna smiled. She reached for Darcy and held her in her arms.

"Well" I began slowly. I suddenly forgot why I had even come. 

Becky took a deep breath.

"We just -uh- wanted to see what we could do to help for the party" I finished. I had no right to tell others what Karter has been doing to Becky and Becky certainly didn't want anyone else to know.

Nonna shook her head as fast as Gemma and Danny.

"You just make sure she's got on her frilliest princess dress" Gemma grinned down at Darcy.

Darcy kicked her feet around, eager to run over to Gemma. Dr. Warner said she should be practicing to walk but so far, all she does is kick her legs. She enjoys being held way to much to want to run herself.

Gemma took Darcy in her arms and pretended to twirl her around like she really was royalty.

"But what about the food and the-"

Nonna laughed.

"The food is well taken care of" she nodded.

"And the decorations will up as soon as we close" Danny nodded.

"Which will be much earlier today so make sure you guys get here by 4" Danny smiled. He played with one of Darcy's curls and kissed her cheek.

"We will" Becky spoke up. 

Everyone turned to her and nodded slowly. No one but Gemma, me and Harry knew about the recent resurgence of her nightmare: Karter, but they all had picked up on how quiet she had become in the past few weeks.