ch.28 Simple Genetics

"Why wouldn't I be here? She's my wife and this is our first child" Harry defended. 

"Like I said, I see many young girls that come alone or with their mothers" the doctor replied tersely.

Harry stood up. I took a deep breath.

"So you think that just because a couple idiots ditch their girlfriends when they get them pregnant, that I'm just gonna leave, too?" he raised a brow (and a slight fist).

"Calm down, kid" the doctor sighed.

"I am not a kid, I'm about to have a kid" Harry declared proudly.

"No kidding" the man shook his head.  

I smiled shyly.

The doctor rotated between glaring at Harry and grinning warmly at me.

"Anyway, my name is Dr. Warner and I've been working in the pregnancy ward for just as long as you've been alive, so I suggest you calm down, less you want me to find the tape of your birthing" he threatened Harry with a grin.

Harry nearly lunged at the doctor with both his fists, but I grabbed his arm.

"Harry" I spoke up.

They both turned to me.

"Right" the doctor sighed. "May I ask how old you are, miss?" he smiled.

"20" I replied.

Dr. Warner nodded, then he turned to Harry begrudgingly. Harry sat down slowly, eyeing the doctor the entire time.

"And you?" Dr. Warner grumbled.

"24" Harry replied in a deeper voice.

"And is this your first child?" he smiled at me.

"Yes" Harry answered.

"I was not talking to you" Dr. Warner hissed.

Harry's fists tightened and his veins bulged.

"Well, technically, it's not. I had a miscarriage last year" I explained.

"I'm very sorry to hear that" the doctor patted my shoulder gently. He didn't even bother looking at Harry to console him for a moment.

I nodded slowly. Last year would have been too confusing and too early for me to have a child. I was still technically a teenager and I was just starting college and Harry and I weren't even married...

"And when was your last menstruation" he asked casually. Harry cleared his throat and looked around the room a bit awkwardly, trying to busy himself with reading Dr. Warner's awards and diplomas.

"Um, the second week of May" I answered. 

He jotted a note down. Then he asked me and Harry about our family histories, drugs, alcohol, the external factors that could affect the baby. The doctor's eyes widened and he shook his head a bit disappointedly when Harry admitted to his past drug use, then his father's neuroticisim and some alcohol problems. 

Dr. Warner had me double check that I really was pregnant and I went to the bathroom with one of those little cups. Sure enough, I was still pregnant. One month to be exact.

"Would you like me to run a blood test in the coming weeks, as well?" Dr. Warner asked me.

"Blood test?" I mumbled.

"Of course I am the father!" Harry jolted up.

The doctor sighed.

"I am the only man she was ever been with and I will be the only man to give her children" Harry held an authoritative finger up.