“I just wanted to say I’m really happy for you, what with getting the money for Scarlette and everything.” I smiled and, to my surprise, Lyra jumped forward and hugged me.

Okay, where’s the water pistols? The cameras? The silly string? The grenades? What’s going on?

“I know! I’m so happy too! Thank you for everything you did for us, it really meant a lot.” She drew back and scowled, then punched my arm. “But don’t think this means we’re friends. I just owe you one.”

“Naw, you love me.” I threw an arm over her shoulder and started to walk off to Sikowitz’s class.

“If you ever tell anyone that, I’ll deny it. Then I’ll shoot you and throw your body in a dumpster.”

“Point taken.”

~*~

For the first time in a while, our table was the loud one at lunch.

James was reciting lines from Romeo and Juliet to Lyra, who was laughing and blushing madly-a complete contradiction to the ripe language pouring out of her mouth. He didn’t seem to mind-that boy would do anything for her.

Marcus, Tyler and Cece were engaged in some sort of three-way argument about the nutritional value of candyfloss-Cece was convinced it was one of her five a day, Tyler was calling her some very rude names, and Marcus was fighting logic and facts with hormones, if you catch my drift.

Harley, who was sat opposite me, were discussing when Liam was next going to visit. He flew back home the next day and he was planning on coming up sometime in the summer to visit. I had to admit that it was nice seeing him again-he was pretty much the only person who had stuck by me from back home, and I had missed him. We were all going to go out to a restaurant that evening to celebrate Scarlette’s treatment starting next week, and Liam was coming too.

“Hey, guys.” We looked up as Alex sat down next to me and stole one of my chips. “Thanks, Mel!” He grinned and winked as he popped it into his mouth.

“Hey!” I complained, laughing, butterflies going haywire in my stomach. “That’s my lunch!”

He just laughed at me.

Harley winked at me when he wasn’t looking and I rolled my eyes. There was nothing going on between Alex and I.

Not right now, at any rate.

~1 Year Later~

~Narrator~

“Catch it, Scarlette!” Cece cried, letting the Frisbee fly from her hand.

Scarlette squealed, running across the grass in her bare feet to catch the plastic disk. Her short hair flew out behind her as she reached out her hand and turned around, sending the disk straight behind her to Melody.

“Guys, this isn’t fair!” Complained Marcus. “There’s three of you and one of me!”

“Of course it’s fair!” Melody laughed. “You have Tyler! Besides, being a strong guy like yourself, surely you can take on two short girls and an eleven year old?”

“Tyler is more of a hindrance than a help.”

“Hey!”

“And I’m still outnumbered! Even if I get the disc, there’s no one to throw it to!” He pouted and Lyra rolled her eyes from the picnic blanket under the tree. Even Scarlette wasn’t this childish.

“Be a man, Marcus!” She taunted.

“Come on, James, please help me.” Marcus begged. James looked down at Lyra, who was laid next to him. Lyra glared at him.