Chapter 41

Yami stood up, his blood boiling. Yugi held out his hand and had him sit back down.

"Yugi, I have to do something!" Yami harshly whispered, desperation in his eyes just as it was in Yugi's, "I can't just let my step father do this!"

Yugi shook his head.

"But if you break into a fight, you'll scare everyone on this plane." He said, sternly, "And if you scare everyone on this plane, we're certain to go down."

Yami sighed and leaned back, looking out the window. His mind reeled and he racked his brain for ways to throw his step father off course of his plan of mass murder.

"...then what am I to do, aibou?" Yami looked at him, a sudden look of helplessness in his eyes, almost as though he knew how this was to fair out and he didn't have any way of stopping it, "I can't just let him kill all these innocent people...!"

Yugi returned the look and rested a hand on his own. He didn't know what else they were going to do, but he did know that there was always a way out. They just had to find it.

"Yami, you've escaped him repeatedly. I highly doubt you'll fail again. I promise." Yugi said, "We'll make it out of here. I just know we will."

Atem stood, slightly frightened by their conversation and put the letters away, stashing them into his bag that sat at his feet under Yugi's seat.

"Well, if you'll excuse me..." He turned, straightening his clothes. Yugi paled. He knew exactly where this was headed, "I need to go use the restroom."

Yugi wanted to stop him. Yugi wanted to reach out and make him sit down again. He didn't want Atem to go plunging to his death when the plane eventually began falling.

But Atem didn't listen to any of his attempts and he went to the small restroom in the back.

A young child began to cry, sitting a few paces behind Yugi and Yami. He was small and frail, but his hair was green and red. He seemed to be a young child, about 8 or 9 now. Beside him sat a young man with violet eyes and hair that resembled that of Yugi's.

The young man cradled the crying child and desperately looked up at Yugi, about to cry himself.

It was Heba.

And it was Yuya.

Yami tightened his grip on Yugi's hand, fear gripping him steadily. Tears came to his eyes as he thought about all the people on this plane who didn't know what was in it for them.

What was going to happen in less than an hour. Hell, less than half an hour to all of them.

"Y-Yugi..." He said, looing at him with the tears glistening in his eyes again, "...I'm helpless...I can't do anything now... he... he's succeeded..."

Yugi shook his head.

"N-No! No, you can't say that!" He took Yami's face in his hands, "It isn't over! You have to believe that! He can't win this fight!"

"But this war has been going on for my entire l-life!" Yami cried, "I have been haunted by his presence since I was 6! That's nearly 20 years now! I... I can't d-do this anymore!"

Yugi felt his own tears rise as Yami threw his arms around him and sobbed into his shoulder, the plane slowly dipping downward. Yami looked back, seeing how quickly they began to descend into the clouds. The jet engines began to smoke, causing some of the people around them to start muttering fearfully.

The pilot didn't return onto the speakers, which caused more unease to rise among the passengers of the plane. Yami tightened his grip on Yugi, paling.