Chapter 14

The tension was high in the room where the surgery was taking place. Yami remained doubled over at the table, attempting to widen that trachea in the safest way possible.

The monitors still blared as Jesse's oxygen levels still lowered. Yami and all the other doctors' hearts raced as they worked against the clock, calling out to one another.

"I need another two pints of O Negative!" Shouted one doctor.

"Hypothermia! I need more fluids!"

"Keep an eye on his pulse. His heart is getting slower."

"Keep bagging him!"

Yami sighed and focused more. He glared with determination, taking that tube he asked for and gently slipping it slowly into the crushed trachea. He was able to straighten out some of the muscles in the wind pipe, but with all the damage, there was still more work to be done.

Yugi watched him as he worked, also squeezing that pump that pumped oxygen into Jesse's lungs that was basically one of the only things that kept Jesse alive at this point.

He noticed that Yami was more determined to save this one than any of the others. And he also could see that Yami was thinking deeply as well about something.

If only Yugi knew exactly what he was thinking about.

-------

Jesse remained like that with his red companion for what felt like hours. He didn't want to let go of his new official lover.

Even if he was dead. Jesse still could tell that Jaden's love was genuine. Nothing could change his mind of that.

And that was enough of a reason to go back and stay.

"Jesse..." Jaden finally broke their silence, looking at him sincerely, "I love you...but I beg you...you have to live."

Jesse looked at him, slightly saddened, but still slightly elated from what he recently found out. Jesse held him close.

"But..." Jesse began.

"Jesse, Death can't tear two people completely apart." Jaden returned, "It truly doesn't. The only difference it creates is that one person becomes unseen. Not unfelt or unheard."

Jesse watched as Jaden let go of him and stood up, looking down briefly as he removed his Slifer red coat, the one he died wearing. He dropped it by his side and suddenly, a huge bright light illuminated the darkness.

Jesse had to cover his eyes with his hands so he wasn't blinded by the very bright light. He squinted.

But as soon as it started, it stopped and Jesse finally opened his eyes again, looking at his friend. Jaden had two massive angel wings that shone in the darkness, illuminating it all in beautiful bright light. He stood up straight, holding the jacket at his side and he turned back, looking back at Jesse.

"No thing is a hard thing to look at." He said, meeting Jesse's side again and wrapping his massive wings around him in a warm embrace, interlocking his fingers with his own, "Yet, something that had once been there....still is."

Jaden leaned in and caught Jesse by slight surprise when their lips met each other's. Jaden's was a gentle touch that was welcoming and warm. It sent a sensation that swept through Jesse.

Jesse melted into the kiss, tilting his head and coming in closer to Jaden and he hugged Jaden closer. Jaden could feel a few tears fall down his face from sadness over having to leave, but at the same time, he was happy.

His Johan was going back and wasn't going to give up.

Jaden made up his mind to go back with him. As his guardian angel. Everyone had one, and Jesse deserved one apart from all the rest.