Chapter 30

Yugi could feel the tension in the room as the surgery went on and the inspection of the famous patient they held slowly began to go downhill.

The monitors spun steadily out of control as the team of surgeons surrounding Yugi began to call for tools and began to make notes of what was happening for the OR to take this patient in next after the Emergency procedures were complete.

"Mana!! Ishizu!" Yugi looked up and his eyes landed on two nurses who stood looking closely at the monitors not far from where they were, "What are his readings?"

"Low oxygen intake!!" Mana's wide eyes crossed with Yugi's, "He needs to have that checked out!"

"Mental status is critical..." Ishizu said, putting one hand on her hip and the other pointing at the monitor she read, "...there could be a massive internal bleed from the brain."

"His blood pressure is dropping!" Mana finished.

Yugi gently pressed the face of the patient on the table, examining the skull for any fractures. The young man had been smart in wearing a helmet, but if there was a brain bleed, chances are there was a break somewhere in the skull that had to be taken care of.

"Okay, Yusei..." Yugi tried to relieve some of his tension by softly talking to his patient. He found it usually worked to get his mind off of the situation, even if his patient couldn't hear and respond to him.

"Everything is going to be alright...I promise..." He ran his fingers through the patient's hair, feeling the warmth radiating from the brain bleed and he nodded slightly, grabbing a scalpel, "You'll be just fine...I promise...all you need to do is rest...while we do the work for you..."

Yugi gently cut through the scalp, the skull coming into view. It was there that he found a deep gnash in the skull. He looked up.

"Deep laceration to the head!" He called, "Send a neurosurgeon to the head to check it out!"

One of the doctors beside Mana and Ishizu raised his hand and walked over, taking the scalpel from him gingerly.

"I got it, Yugi." He said, getting straight to work, "You get to the chest. Those lungs aren't looking too good."

Yugi nodded and turned to meet three doctors examining the chest area and he looked at one.

"What's he looking like?" He asked, grabbing a tube from one of them, "He needs this?"

"More than anything else." The nurse who handed it to him nodded and the doctor beside Yugi stood up straight from the way he was hunched over, listening to the breath sounds through a stethoscope.

"No breath sounds on either side. That tube might be the only chance he has." He looked back, "Bring over a resuscitation machine!"

Yugi could feel his jaw tighten as he worked further in slipping that tube into the mouth of the patient to make way for the other tubes to connect him with the machine to help him breathe.

Yugi slowly inched the tube down using a long, sterilized wire to push it safely into the trachea and to open the airway to the lungs once more. He slowly sighed, feeling sweat gather on his forehead as he went through with this procedure. This kind of job was one that wasn't very easy and required maximum concentration.

Anything went wrong, he could destroy both the esophagus and the trachea if he wasn't careful.

Out of the corner of his eye, Yugi could see a crowd of people out in the hall. Most of them were reporters and cameramen and women alike. It was the paparazzi that always followed Team Satisfaction around.