Chapter 13

Yugi and Yami rushed into the Emergency Ward, quickly slipping into their gear. The patient was almost there and they had to be ready.

"Yami! Yugi!" Mana cried, running over to the two as soon as they arrived, "There you are?"

"Hey, Mana." Yugi breathed, slipping on his gloves.

"Mana, how was he went he was found?" Yami turned to Mana, not wanting to stand around and talk.

"Well, when we finally got there, he had went into cardiac arrest, but we got him resuscitated." Mana said, "We had to give him three pints of AB Positive blood after he lost much of it. It is unknown if he did anything else to himself, but we do have our suspicions."

"Suspicions?" Yugi looked at Mana, tilting his head, "Suspicions of what?"

"Well, when the medics got to the scene, they saw a few other untreated slits. They believe it was from previous attempts...of suicide..." Mana looked down, "There was a hollow hole over his heart, and when the medics asked a few questions to the teachers on the scene, they said he hadn't been to class. No one knew why..."

"...He was suffering..." Yami stopped, a sad look in his eye, "...that's exactly why he didn't go."

Yugi noticed this look and raised an eyebrow in Yami's direction.

Yami only looked the other way. Yugi opened his mouth to say something, but he was interrupted when the doors to the entrance of the Emergency ward opened again and a series of medics rushed in with a gurney.

A blue haired boy lie unconscious on the gurney as he was wheeled past, surgeons chasing it into an OR.

"How's his blood pressure?" Yugi called, slipping on his stethoscope.

"Not good! He's still losing blood from an unknown source." One of the medics, Miho, called back to him.

"Well then, let's find that source." Yami said, flipping the boy's eyelids open and shining a flashlight into them, seeing bloodshot eyes, "Pupils unequal and not reactive!"

Yugi leaned down, feeling around as the clothes of the boy were torn off. The heart had an uneven pulse, and Yugi knew it had something to do with that previously inserted hole in his chest. He took off the cut shirt, his heart racing just as it always did in surgery.

His eyes widened.

"I found a hole in the trachea and in his chest. The trachea is completely destroyed!" Yugi looked up, "Set him up for an incubator and get him scanned!"

The monitor for oxygen intake began to bleep and go off, all the doctors looking at it, full of suspense.

"Get him that machine now!!! Seal that hole and straighten up that trachea!" Yami called, "We don't have much time! Let's go go go!"

-------

Jessie sat in a place of darkness. He looked around, alone in this realm.

"Hello?" He called out into the endless black, his voice echoing, "Anyone here?"

Jessie glanced around, confused. He didn't feel anything. Not scared, happy, sad, frightened, or anything. It was light he had gone completely numb in this place of total blackness. Not knowing what else to do, he sank to the ground, sitting.

"...Am I dead?" He asked, "...Is this what death is like? Loneliness and darkness? ...No one to be there with you...?"

Jessie went silent, looking down sadly. He hugged his knees in close to his chest.

He wasn't going to see the one boy he wanted to see more than anything else. He wasn't going to see Jaden again. It was made painfully clear. He could feel the tears stream down his cheeks as he sat in the darkness, whimpering Jaden's name to himself before it went away.