Chapter 24

Yami stood shakily from the boy and his gaze was fixed on the man who had only just exited the store less than a minute ago. He growled slightly through his throat, glaring.

He felt his fists clench and he took tense steps in the direction the man was in.

Which wasn't very far at all. Growling, he stormed away from the group.

"Yami???" Yugi looked up, placing a large oxygen mask over Yuya's mouth and nose, "Where are you going???"

The man looked slightly back at Yami, an evil glint in his eye and he turned right back around again. Yami quickened his steps, not looking back at Yugi.

"To do something I should have done years ago." Yami muttered loud enough for Yugi to hear.

He heard Yugi say something more, but he ignored whatever it was he said and he went through the sliding doors, coming out to police officers and other medics rushing around with other patients, all varying in criticality.

He looked around and he saw a foot disappear around the corner. He followed quickly after it, tailing the trail of the murderer he knew too well not to go after him.

"Hey!!!" He called, surprisingly not gaining attention from surrounding officers as he ran.

The man's footsteps quickened and he turned a corner, reaching the curb of a busy road. Yami stayed close behind him, fury pumping through his veins as he ran through the night after the man.

The man smirked and turned sharply, ducking into a forest-like section of Domino City. Yami followed and finally grabbed the man by the collar.

"Listen, Killer. What the hell are you doing here???" Yami demanded, his nose practically pressed against the man's own nose.

"Just reserving my dear step-son!" The man shoved him off and fixed his collar, looking at Yami with a devious glare, "You, Yami! I'm protecting you."

Yami whipped his gaze back him direction after falling to the ground from the push and he jumped back up to his feet, demanding an answer.

"Protecting me???" He returned, furious, "How the heck are you, a killer of all people, protecting me?!"

The man only shook his head slowly and smirked slightly, taking a couple steps back.

"You must be strong. Not soft." The man returned, "When you got this job and you began making friends and such, you got softer and and softer.

"That's not who my son is."

Yami glared as he listened more to this man and his horrid words.

"Only the strong get by here in this wretched hell that we live in." Yami's Step-Father said, looking around, "The world is Satan's playground. A place for him to wreak havoc and we let him.

"We let him possess the strong and destroy the weak and helpless. They don't deserve to live. They can't do anything to help everyone else. They're just things to take up space.

"They do nothing but get in the way and that is something that angers me and needs to change immediately."

Yugi stepped up and growled, strongly against his father's words.

"WRONG!" He interrupted, "The reason I became a doctor was to heal and strengthen and save. I didn't come to murder innocent lives and kill for sport. The weak and the strong live together in perfect harmony.

"There is no difference in weakness and strength. For without weakness, there is no strength.

"Therefore, without the weak, there is no strong."