Chapter 5

WARNING:

CHARACTER DEATH UP AHEAD. WANNA START HATING, HATE NOW. BUT IF YOU DO, I WON'T UPDATE ANYMORE.

SO PLEASE, NO DEATH THREATS OR NEITHER ONE OF US WILL HAVE FUN.

----------------------------------------

"MOVE!! GET OUT OF THE WAY!!!! THIS KID NEEDS TREATMENT STAT!!!"

A gurney was rushed through the emergency unit to where an operating table sat waiting for the patient that was being brought in. A 15 year old boy, it was a devastating thing, but he still needed help.

And a lot of it.

"Okay. What happened?" Mahad looked up at Yugi as they ran alongside the gurney, "I need to know how it all went down if I'll be helping in this operation."

"It was a huge fire. I wasn't able to get the actual details, but most victims say it was a malfunction in the heater and the AC." Yugi said, shifting his stethoscope, "The building caught fire during an assembly last night, and spread through the school over a matter of hours."

"And this boy was the one to pay the price for all of it..." Yami muttered right in front of Yugi, still a little frazzled but nonetheless ready for anything to happen.

He had to be ready.

He was a doctor after all.

Soon, they reached the Operation Room and they put the unconscious boy on the slightly cushioned table and got him off of the stretcher. Yami rushed over to the head to inspect it more now that he had all the tools he needed.

Yugi instead went to the chest and had no problem cutting the uniform shirt off of the sedated teen. The tension in the room was extreme. Almost more extreme than Yugi had ever felt in a surgery.

But he couldn't blame them. This kid was...almost dead, if not already dead. The fire was one of the worst that they had ever seen and this kid was basically the only one who was truly injured in the accident.

Yugi removed the clothes as the doctors and nurses around him mumbled and talked among themselves, calling for tools and saying when they needed any for operation.

"Come on, Jaden...you're a strong kid...don't give up on us...come on..." Yugi muttered, half praying for his patient to live.

Jaden didn't seem to hear. He only grew increasingly paler with the passing minutes.

Yugi wiped some sweat from his forehead and looked up at his fiancé, Yami.

They exchanged fearful glances and they returned to work.

Yami pressed gently on the forehead, hearing cracks from the bone below. The bones were loose under the flesh and that was one of the worst signs in a surgery. Yami paled, but kept his composure and called out for a group of nurses to come over to his side.

"Brain Bleed!" Yami relayed to the other doctors, "Get him an antibiotic to control the bleeding and get a nano surgeon to check if anything's up with the brain stem."

Yami took a scalpel and felt once again around the top of the patient's head, feeling it burning. That only confirmed his fears. Jaden almost didn't have anymore brain activity. His scull had been crushed in the burning building which only made things worse.

Yami looked up, stepping back as nurses took his place to inspect him. He saw the two from the scene of the fire there. They held each other tightly, watching on the verge of tears.

Alexis and...Jesse.

They looked at Yami, expecting some sort of telepathic answer to one of the biggest questions they had ever asked in their entire lives.

Was their best friend going to pull through like he always did or was he going to finally be weakened enough to the point that he just gives up?

Yami looked down, not wanting to give them an answer to their question because it was too bleak. He watched the nurses instead, a numb look on his face.

Yami knew already of what they were going to find, and it broke his heart, but he knew what was coming.

He joined Yugi, who desperately looked for pulses in the young teen's chest.

"Get him a tube! Practically no breathing sounds!" Yugi looked up, catching the attention of another group of nurses, "We need to bring back those lungs!"

Yami met his side and began to help Yugi with the tube that was soon given to him by the nurses. He was able to help Yugi get the tube into the neck and down the trachea.

When suddenly, the monitors began to blare.

"Hypothermia!! Get some warm fluids now!" One doctor let out.

"Cardiac Arrest! Set him up for Resuscitation!" Another one said.

"Spinal cord down! Movement is limited! We need to bring back that movement!" A third still joined in.

They were losing the poor boy. His body was quickly deteriorating at a rate that they couldn't keep up with. It was only a matter of time before-

"No brain activity. Jaden Yuki is officially brain dead." The neurosurgeon who was assigned to inspect the head let out, his voice full of pain.

The entire room went silent.

The only sound that could be heard in the still and sorrowful silence was the flatlining from the monitor and the crying outside from the boy's friends who had come so desperately to watch over him.

But now, he was going to watch over them.

Yami felt tears spring into his eyes and he felt Yugi's shaking hand grab ahold of Yami's. They both felt terrible. They couldn't save him. He was the first patient they had ever lost.

This one fact made Yami feel even worse. He was always known for always saving his patients.

But...life isn't always a walk through fields of daisies and sunshine...

Yami knew that fact well. They watched with tears still threatening to fall as they put a sheet over Jaden's body, finally making it known that he was now completely dead.

Yami turned, not able to see the sight and ran out of the room and meeting up with Alexis and Jesse. They both seemed heartbroken. Their hearts had been shattered to millions of tiny pieces and it was almost impossible to put them together again.

"S-Sen...Sennen..." Jesse let out, his voice cracked as his bottom lip trembled.

"I-Is...Ja-Jaden..." Alexis gripped him again, on her knees, not able to finish her sentence.

Yami let his bangs fall over his eyes as he held Alexis and Jesse extremely close and they all cried as hard as they had ever cried.

"I-I'm sorry..." Yami said as his voice shook with his sobs, "J-Jaden...he's...g-gone...."

Jesse clutched Yami tighter, gritting his teeth as little rivers ran down his cheeks. He whispered the same nickname over and over as he cried in Yami's arms.

"J-Judai...Judai...n-not...Not Judai...." He muttered, shaking now.

Alexis was also emotionally wreaked as well. She was too sad to speak and too shocked for words. She held Yami tight in turn and let her tears fall silently as she faced the fact that she'd never see her boyfriend alive again.

Jaden was the fun loving and obnoxious life of the party. He lived to make people happy and have fun. He was loved by the majority of the people he encountered.

But now, he was gone.