Chapter 36

A tall young man walked through his large apartment, sitting in a chair, putting his phone down beside him.

"Another draft...I haven't even been home for the time they said I would be..." His melancholy voice broke the silence that had engulfed his entire apartment.

He rubbed his tan face, sighing to himself.

He had only arrived home a couple months before and he was already drafted again. Could he ever get a break?

First, his lover died and he couldn't even say good bye...the next few years were full of intense training for further missions and war operations. He never got to get home during that time and he couldn't be happier when they finally told him that he was going to get a break from the rush and the work of military means.

He gets home and gets a few months to himself.

Then another draft for another war.

Why can't this war go away? Enough has happened. If only the world knew what happened to all the people included in these raging wars.

He knew that this was how it worked:

If something was brought up in the media in the news, everyone would be all over it. For a week. Maybe a few weeks. But eventually, it dies down and they move on from the news. It's old. They forget about it.

They forget about the people risking their lives every day by simply living where they live and doing what they have to do survive.

He's seen much more than many other men.

Dying 19 year old boys on the battlefield who were put on the front line in a deadly battle.

Sobbing mothers as they clutch the telegram with the letters MIA or KIA typed in bold on the paper.

Missing in Action...

Killed in Action...

He could remember seeing those letters on a telegram he got one day from a fellow soldier. Reading those letters made him stop and he remembered how he had to collapse onto his bunk nearby just to make sense of it in his head.

His lover...Heba...was killed in battle...

And he wasn't even able to say goodbye. He wasn't able to tell him how much he loved him.

They were miles away from each other. They were countries away. Serving in two totally different operations, they were separated for what felt like forever.

They both looked forward to the time when they would both see each other again and they would catch up in their free time and all.

But those... letters... that... simple piece of paper...

That simple piece of paper he received from his soldier friend changed everything in a heartbeat. He could no longer see Heba.

He could no longer hear the laughter that he learned to laugh along with as he grew to love Heba more and more.

He could no longer hold him tightly and lovingly in his grasp and in his arms like he would do to comfort Heba when he grew homesick for his older step brother, a man whom he had become very familiar with through the many stories Heba would tell him.

His name was Yami.

Yami was very... outgoing. He was funny and was always willing to be different and to stand out. He loved to make people happy and to see others smile.

The man remembered coming home a few years following Heba's death and he walked right into a situation in which he literally had to choose whether to save someone's life or not.