Chapter 19

Yami's heart raced as he and Mana ran for the young boy's room. Yami dreaded what he would see there.

But he knew that if Jesse hadn't woken up by now, it was probably gonna be a long while before he did.

He and Mana turned a corner and the room came into view. Yami could hear some monitors from the room, beeping like they always did. But they seemingly began to grow gradually erratic as they inched closer.

---

Jaden felt a sense of guilt flood his heart as his angel wings drooped as he looked on. He still sat beside his best friend and the one he loved the most, but his friend wasn't beside him.

At least not spiritually.

Jessie was trapped somewhere in a dream world. His spirit was stuck in a fantasy realm that had no existence. There was no way for Jaden to reach out and grab Jessie in reassurance.

No way whatsoever.

Jaden's Little Kuribo curled up in Jaden's lap as his wings also fell low, just like his heart. Ruby yowled and would nudge Jessie every now and again, trying to get a response in one way or another.

But nothing came in return. Eventually, Ruby gave up, curling up against the hollow of Jessie's neck, like she would when they'd go to sleep at night. Jaden could hear her purr desperately, but fruitlessly.

Suddenly, the doors opened and a doctor and a nurse came in, rushing right over to the monitors. Little Kuribo jumped from his place in Jaden's lap and fluttered a bit.

Jaden jumped to his feet as well, watching them anxiously as to what they'd say and what was happening to Jessie.

Yami, a doctor who he could never mistake, read out some numbers on the screen of the monitor as the nurse, who he understood to be Mana, scribbling some things down on the clipboard she held.

Little Kuribo sadly fluttered over to Ruby as she continued to purr against her companion and best friend in reassurance to herself and to the one she loved.

Jaden looked at them and back at the doctors who examined the readings.

He prayed that nothing was wrong. His mind refused to believe that something would have further damaged Jessie. Jaden reached out slowly and gripped the limp hand that fell at his side.

"Jessie..." He sadly murmured, looking down, "Please...don't let this happen...don't give in...don't give up...like I did..."

He refused to think that his Johan was hurting even more than he had been thought to be previously.

But his heart knew that he was suffering tremendously.

--

Yami went through the readings, scanning the numbers and the words that were on the screen he looked at. His heart thudded in his chest as he went through what was on the screen.

He paled at what he saw as he did the calculations and the monitors began to beep louder and louder. Yami jerked his gaze to Mana.

"There is definitely something wrong here." He said, his eyes wide.

Mana looked at him, the monitors getting louder.

"But what is it??" She questioned, gripping the clipboard like a lifeline.

"That's the thing." Yami looked back at the screen, "We need that scan if we're to know. Come on. We can't let this boy wait any longer anymore."

Mana nodded, the two of them quickly grabbing the bed Jessie lay on and rolling it out and quickly down the hall, out of the ICU and into the examination room.