18 - I Can't Go On

I have some questions to ask you again in the author's notes.

I realize that I have been acting differently. I don't know what it is.

What could it be? How have I been acting differently? My rage. No... that's not it. The rage is building up inside me, but I know that couldn't be it.

"Test subject 10652 please report to testing. Test subject 10625 please report to testing," I hear.

Finally!

I stay seated, waiting around 10 minutes. Once I feel that the scientist must be looking for me, I get up and walk over to the teleporter. I get in and I go to testing.

"What is your number?" the protector asks.

"10652," I reply.

"Scientist 136 has been looking for you! Go to room 56, if you can find it. If not come back here. The scientist left to look for you."

I nod my head and I enter. I then run down the hallway, looking for room 56. When I find it, I run in and I start looking through the cabinets. I find something that has a paper in front of it that says, "Syringe," on it and some bottles that say various things. The bottles say things such as, "sleep," "knock out," "confusion," and so on.

Now that I think about it, how am I going to bring this back...? I don't have anywhere to put it or the scientist will see. I guess I'll have to put it outside of the room?

I leave the room, and look for a place to put this. I decide on putting it in an empty room nearby that only has a counter in it.

I just hope that no one notices it.

I quickly go back to the testing room, and wait for the scientist. Wait... What am I going to say when she gets back? I'm so worried... She will find out that I purposely wasn't going to testing! I should just act calm when she comes in...

When the scientist comes in, I try to act normal.

"Where were you?" she asks.

"I...didn't realize that I had testing. At first," I say.

"Didn't you hear an announcement to go?" she asks.

"Well... I didn't realize it at... first," I say.

"I see," she replies.

"Yeah..." I say.

"Anyway, I would like you to drink this and then lay down," the scientist says handing me a purple drink.

I take it from her and then I lay down.

"End program," she says.

"It's been going well," I hear the scientist say.

"That's good," says scientist 112.

I wonder why the scientist hasn't told me to get up yet. I'm tempted to do so, but I don't.

"Is there anything that hasn't been going good?" asks scientist 112.

"Well... ever since we did the procedure, she's had that red tint in her eyes. It's very unnoticeable. Also, today, she came late to testing."

"I wouldn't worry about either of those. Plenty come late to testing at least once," says scientist 112.

"What if it continues to happen? I'm afraid that it will."

"It will not, I guarantee you."

"But what if it does?"

"Then we will have to think about doing something else. Like having her be one of those lab rats!" scientist 112 laughs.