(38)

I clap my hands rapidly as Michael takes a bow on the stage and waves a few people here and there. Anyone who is performing on that stage tonight or saying a word or two is back stage with me, and they're all doing the same thing as me;

Standing in awe at Michael who has just changed dance forever, and I'm pretty sure he knows it too. 

Michael nods a couple of more times to the audience before walking off the stage to end his performance. I smile at him as he walking off, but he doesn't see me because all he's looking at is the ground. 

"Michael," I mumble to myself, letting my hands fall in front of me, as the people around me are still hollering and clapping.

Something is wrong. 

"Thanks guys," Michael sighs, handing his microphone to one of the sound directors. Stevie and Diana are the first to hug and congratulate him. They're followed by each of his brothers, individually hugging him and thanking each other for doing the performance and cooperating with each other. 

Everyone is joking around, and unlike usually, Michael is just standing and smiling wanly. 

"Michael?" I ask softly as everyone continues they're boisterous noise and he looks over to me. 

"Emma," he sighs, seeing me for the first time, "I was wondering where you were." he sighs as he stands in front of me, "Can we go?" he asks sadly, smiling to try and hide his tone. I lift my hand to caress his face as he stares in my eyes, and there's something behind them. 

"Whatever you want babe," I smile, reaching on my toes to kiss the corner of his mouth, "Do you want to say goodbye to everyone?" I ask softly as he intertwines his fingers with mine. 

"No, it's okay I'll talk to them later," he sighs, shaking his head as he looks back at the crowd of them talking to each other, "Let's go." he mumbles, pulling me towards the steps that lead to the back doors. 

We walk outside hand in hand before getting into the limo that is waiting for us against the curb. As soon as we get in, Michael leans against the window and rolls up the partition. 

"Fuck!" he grits, banging his fist against the windowsill, causing me to jump as he rests his forehead against the window. He closes his eyes tightly as I watch him with intent. A tear rolls down his cheek and my lips part.

"Michael," I sigh wanly making him open his eyes to look at me. 

"Emma," he sniffles and I move closer to him, "I-I just, I didn't-"

"Shh, it's okay baby," I say softly, pulling him into a hug as he rests his forehead on my shoulder. He slowly lets his head fall into my lap before ripping off his white, sparkling glove and throwing it onto the floor of the limo. 

"Emma I was awful," he murmurs as I feel his wet tears soak through my dress pants, "Nothing went right, not even with my brothers. I'm pretty sure Jermaine was buzzed!" Michael sobs rubbing the top of his head against my stomach. I place my hands in his curls, massaging his scalp as he lets all of his emotions run free. 

"Michael look at me," I say softly. He rubs his nose on my leg before slowly sitting up to look into my eyes with his dreary, red, wet ones, "You changed history tonight." I smile as he looks to me with his doe eyes, "You were phenomenal out there, and anyone who was watching can say the same." 

"I wasn't good enough," he mumbles, shifting his eyes down.

"Hey, look at me," I smile, holding his face in my hands, "You are the only one who wasn't extremely impressed with your performance tonight. Your biggest critic is yourself, and that's something I know you won't ever be able to help, but you have to realize that not everything won't always turn out the way you think it will," I console him, rubbing his cheek. 

"You think I was okay?" he asks softly, looking down at his hands. 

"You were magnificent." I say with assurance, taking his hands in mine. 

"Really?" he asks as a smile tugs at the corners of his mouth. 

"Yes," I nod, "And if anyone tells you differently, they can shove it up their asses since they most likely will never be able to dance as well as you." I convince him as he lets out a slight giggle, wiping his nose with the back of his arm. 

"I just..." he sighs before taking a deep breath, "I didn't stay on my toes as long as I had planned on it. I wanted to stay for four counts, and I didn't even stay for half of that time." he says sadly. 

"No one knew what you were planning to do and what you did shocked the world anyways," I giggle, wiping his tears with my thumbs, "You were amazing, Michael, ask anybody." I grin, kissing the corner of his mouth. 

"Thank you," he smiles, half convinced by my praise, "What do you want to do when we get back to Neverland?" he asks, wrapping his arm around my shoulder as I rest my head on his shoulder this time. 

"Well, knowing you," I begin, kissing the base of his jaw, "You will not be able to keep your mind off of the performance or even be able to sleep because of the adrenaline," I wink as his cheeks flush, "So I'm thinking a movie and lots of sex." I smile cheekily as he chuckles, intertwining our fingers.

"Sounds like a good idea to me."