Chapter 19

We had walked about half a mile when Gary dragged me off the road into a small forest.

"Are you kidnapping me?" I half laughed, still slightly worried.

"Well firstly you're not a kid, and secondly I'd have done that a long time ago if I was." He still had my hand but was walking in front of me.

"So where are we actually going?"

"To the pub!"

"The pub?" I was majorly confused.

"Yes the pub. It's a short cut and there a small lake here so..." he released my handand bent down, picking me up in a cradle position like he had this morning. He was walking over some stepping stone, taking each step carefully. As we reached the other side he put me back down again.

"Why did you carry me over that?" I asked, once again grabbing his hand but this time walking next to him.

"I didn't want you to get hurt." He didn't even look at me as he answered.

"Gaz there's something up! And can we sit down for a bit, I'm warn out." He pulled a log from under a tree into the open path.

"I used to come down here with my mates all the time." He placed his hand on my upper thigh like usual. "And in autumn it used to rain a lot so that lake filled quite high. One day I was here with my brother, cousin and best mate Mikey. We thought it would be a laugh to one by one run across the stepping stones that were pretty much under water."

"Gary I think I know-"

"Please let me finish." I nodded as I expected what he was about to say. "I got over fine, so did the rest of my family, but then it was Mikey's turn. He tried to run and slipped. He hit his head on the rock and then drowned unconcious." His hand seemed shakey on my leg so I held it and I held it tight.

"Gary I'm so sorry! I shouldn't have asked."

"No I'm glad you did, but you're the only girl I've loved that I've told."

"You didn't tell Dawn?" I was surprised.

"No, she was too caught up in having kids and stuff!" I just sat and thought for a moment.

"Gary..." I questioned.

"Yes sweetie?" he shuffled slightly closer and then wrapped his arm around the small of my back, gently rubbing it.

"Did you love Dawn?" I looked him in his beautiful green eyes as I asked the question seriously.

"I guess I did yeah, I met her when I was in the early stages of Take That, but thinking about it, she never made me as happy as you have... so yes I did love her, but certainly not as much as I love you!" I didn't know how to answer him so I just leant into him and began to kiss him hard. His stubble tickled my chin as he entered my mouth. He pulled away after a long while, "Lunch?"

"Yes, lunch! I'm starving."

"Well princess your carriage awaits..." He bent down slightly and faced his back to me.

"What?" I laughed in confusion.

"Get on my back silly," he too laughed and edged slightly closer to me so I took a couple of steps and jumped on his back, wrapping my legs around his torso and arms around his neck, while his hands grabbed my legs and he began to walk.

About 10 minutes later we finally reached a little pub in the middle of the forest, which of course did also join to the road with a gravel path. I released my arms and legs and jumped off Gary's back, taking his hand once again because mine were absolutely freezing.

"Eve you're freezing!" He exclaimed, taking both my hands and rubbing them in his.

"I know but I'll be warm in no time." We walked into the pub and up to the bar.

"What will you have sweetie?" He had his wallet out.

"Surprise me Barlow," I winked at him and took a seat by the fire. I didn't mind him choosing because I was no longer T-total, I now drank, but still had never been drunk! He walked over and placed the drink on the table.

"Here's to us and all our wonderful thing!" We clinked our glasses together. "And not forgetting that I love you!" He took a sip of his beer.

"I love you too."