Chapter 12

I turned around to see Mark crouched beside me, his hand slightly touching my shoulder.

"Please can you take your hand off my shoulder!" I was scared and nervous and I only dent comfortable if Gary was holding me.

"Oh, I'm sorry, here I'll help you up." he stood from crouching and put his hand out in my direction so I let him help me up. "Are you ok?"

"I'm fine, honestly!" Obviously I was lying because I didn't want to tell him my back story.

"I know you're not but I won't ask, come on I'll get you somewhere warm," he carried my bag for me as we walked somewhere more quiet. Gary still wasn't picking up his phone. "how about here?"

"Yeah ok." I followed Mark in to a small café where he signed a few autographs on his way. He sat down and gestured for me to site opposite.

"Look I'm not going to ask you for a reason but you're not ok are you?"

"Yes I'm - ok no, no I'm not, but its private and I just need Gary!!!" I burst out crying in the middle of the café, Mark didn't know what to do.

"I'll call Gary's work phone for you, sometimes he doesn't charge is personal phone!" Mark pulled out his mobile just as the waitress came over. "Two teas please.... wait you like tea right?" I nodded as the waitress took the order and Mark dialled Gary. It began to ring and almost instantly he picked up. "Gaz mate... I have Eve here... I don't know I just found- .... oh ok we're at the little café where we used to go.... see you mate."

"Is he coming? Please say he's coming!" I was still shaky and I couldn't stop worrying about everything.

"Yes he's coming, but are you sure there's nothing I can do?" The pot of tea came over. "Thank you love." he was still looking at my, waiting for an answer.

"Honestly... no but it's a long story and its personal, but one day I'll tell you. I'm sorry."

"Don't apologise, I had to make sure you were ok." He smiled at me and began to pour my tea. Seconds later I heard Gary walk in in his black leather shoes and dark blue suit.

"Eve what's the matter, what's happened?" He had ran from the door to our seat and knelt down, placing a hand of each shoulder.

"Gary can we just go home?" I was still shaking so he grabbed my hand gently.

"Of course we can sweetie, come on." he helped me up and mined a 'thank you' to Mark.

"Thank you Mark, I'm sorry."

"Don't be Eve, as long as you're ok soon! Later Gaz."

"Yeah later mate, take care." Gary took my bag from the side of the table and held my hand as we walked out of the café.

The car journey was in silence until we got home, he gave me time to calm down a bit, making me a cup of tea and sitting with me on the living room sofa. Dawn had picked up the boys to take them to football.

"So what's up Eve?" Gary's hand was on my knee and he looked me in the eyes, waiting for my reply.

"It's Josh..." I was trying not to cry.

"I thought it would be. He had good lawyers Eve, I tried my best but-"

"I know he had good lawyers, it's my boss! Gary, my boss of all people is supporting an abusive case. I say my boss, my old boss. Yeah, he sacked me because the case was good money and he couldn't have me against him. I HATE JOSH I REALLY DO!" I slammed my head into my hands and burst out crying. I was still so angry and upset.

"Hey hey come here," he wrapped one arm around my shoulder and wiped away my tears with the other. "Look, for as long as you're with me you're ok, I'm protecting you Eve! Josh will never get you and it's not as though I'm skint, we can survive if you don't have a job. I love you and won't ever let anything happen." He lifted my chin so I was looking at him. "Ok?"

"Thank you Gary, I really do love you."

"I love you," he leant in, kissing my lips softly and it gradually got harder until he pushed me back so I was laying on the sofa. He was laying on top of me, still passionately kissing me. It was lovely, until the doorbell rang. He pulled out the kiss, "That'll be the boys! Ruining our moment" he winked at me. 

"I'm sure there's time tomorrow, considering I don't have work." I winked back at him and smiled for what felt like the first time in ages.