Chapter 4

A couple of weeks had passed and Gary was coming in every other day for meetings. He took me to lunch on a couple of them to a little French cafe around the corner from my work. We got to know each other so well in that small space of time. His official divorce was to happen in a couple of days so once again he would be visiting, which gave me butterflies. I felt butterflies every time I saw him, but I can't fancy him, I'm married and from the impression I've given him, he thinks I'm happy.

Today was the day of his divorce and once again Mrs Barlow was in before him.

"Morning Eve, lovely to see you again," she took a seat near my desk.

"Morning Mrs Barlow, looking foward to today?"

"I am, good riddance of the name," she winked at me. "I mean he's lovely and treats you perfectly but I just don't love him anymore."

"Fair enough," I smiled at her.

"Did you say you were married?" She looked at my finger where there was no ring.

"Oh yeah, silly me I forgot to put my ring on this morning." I hadn't forgotten, he used it to cut my neck the night before.

"Oh ok, are you sure you're ok, you seem... edgy?"

"Me? No of course... I'm wonderful, brilliant," and luckily in walked my boss to divert the conversation. This morning he didn't say hi, he just walked straight in followed by Mrs Barlow. I was sat waiting for Gary who hurriedly walked in, holding a bunch of pale pink roses, presumably for Mrs Barlow. I stood up to open the office door but he strode in front of me and gave me the bunch of roses, pecking me on the cheek.

"These are for you, I'll talk afterwards," and with that he entered the office. Gary Barlow just kissed me. He kissed me? Wow! I just sat in my chair, amazed and falling in love.

After the divorce Mrs Barlow walked out, giving me a hug and walking out, while my boss called for the next person. So left alone was Gary and me.

"Can I treat one to dinner tonight?" Shit, dinner, what about Josh?

"Urm, what about lunch instead?" I gave the sweetest smile I could.

"Fine," he winked, "Grab your coat," he put his arm out for me to link in with his. We stepped outside and the wind was strong, I could barely walk. He kept looking at me but each time I looked back he just smiled. Eventually we got to a small restaurant in an ally way, it looked expensive.

"Afternoon Mr Barlow, table for 2?"

"Yes please," he replied, taking my coat off for me and handing it to the waiter. He led me to a small table, hidden away, pulling out my chair for me then walking to perch on his own.

"So how come the flowers Mr Barlow?" I felt embarrassed asking.

"Because I knew you needed cheering up, you seem so low." He grabbed my hand on the table. I winced and pulled away slightly.

"Sorry."

"Eve, something is up, I'm not stupid." He looked at me, concerned. His gentle touch was soothing, it relaxed me.

"Ok, but you can't tell anyone, promise me?" He just nodded. I pushed my hair backwarrds to reveal the scars and bruises on my neck. He looked confused. "My husband, he..." I started to whisper, "he abuses me." Gary wemt silent.

"How long has this been going on Eve?"

"5 years, ever since we married." I began to well up. He stood up and picked me up from my chair, hugging me tightly. I couldn't stop the tears.

"Look, come back to mine, it's more private," he took my hand gently, grabbing my coat from the waiter and walking striaght into a taxi. For the whole drive I sat looking out the window while he had his fingers intertwined with mine.

We got to his 20 minutes later and he opened the door for me, leading me to his kitchen where we sat at the table.

"Eve, why didn't you say something?" He asked as he sat opposite me.

"It's not something I drop into conversation." My tears began to fall again.

"But he must love you, you had Henry together, I'm confused." I burst out crying and stood up from the table, running into his bathroom and locking the door. I just sat there and cried, I never told anyone the truth. I heard him knocking gently on the door. "Eve, I'm sorry, is there something I can do? Please let me in." I opened the door whilst sitting on the edge of the bath. He kenlt in front of me, wiping my eyes with a tissue.

"I didn't choose to have Henry," I couldn't believe I was about to tell someone this. Gary was stroking my hands. "He - Josh, he raped me."