Chapter 1

I lay with my son in his bed, stroking his hair to keep him calm and help him drift to sleep. I could hear his shaky breaths soften as his eyes grew heavy, the house was quiet for once, my husband was probably out at the pub, giving u peace until he returned. Suddenly I found my eyes growing heavy and then I was made alert as the front door slammed and heavy footsteps clambered up the stairs. I pretended to be asleep as he walked in, his slurred words ordering me.

"Oi, Eve, get your bleedin fat arse out of that kids bed and get in ours, I'm turned on." I just layed there, still with my eyes closed pretending to be asleep.

"I SAID GET UP," and he grabbed my arm, violently pulling me from the bed making my head hit the floor. I groaned in pain as he kicked me.

"You're useless, now get up and do what I say." I didn't want to move. I felt him grab both my arms and he dragged me into the bedroom, leaving Henry, shaking scared in his bed.

The next day I dropped Henry off at school near the city centre and headed to work. As I parked up I checked myself in the mirror to make sure I had covered up any bruises. Stepping out the car I immediately enetered the building. I was a lawyer's secretary, according the Josh I was a woman, meaning I was incapable of actually be a lawyer. Josh is my husband by the way and Henry is my son. I'm Eve, 35 years old and I've been married for 5 years.

I was sat at my desk as the first client arrived. She walked around the corner in her heels, looking down at me.

"Good morning, can I help you?" I asked, with a throbbing headache.

"Urm hello Mrs..."

"Mears, sorry I'm Mr Johnson's assistant"

"Oh hello Mrs Mears, yes I have an appointment, Mrs Barlow, about my divorce."

"Okay" I looked it up in the diary. "Oh yes, he's not in yet but will be soon."

"Oh thank you, can I sit here? "

"Yes certainly Mrs Barlow, anyone else joining you today?"

"Please call me Dawn. And urm yes, my husband, well soon to be ex husband, he's always late. We've been split up for 3 years and finally I agreed to the divorce. Good riddance."

"Oh haha, sounds like a dick."

"Oh no he's not, he's lovely but we just drifted I guess and I met someone else. So have you got a husband?"

"Urm.. yeah.. yeah he's great yeah-"

"Morning Mrs Barlow, apologies for being late come in. Hello Eve."

"Morning sir," i smiled and nodded and them as the walked in. Again I was left alone outside the office, waiting for her husband to appear.

Half an hour had passed and I heard footsteps walking towards me. Shit is it Josh, please no. I was looking down and in walked a man, wearing blue suede shoes, chinos and a white polo top. I looked further up and I saw a small stubble, followed my gorgeous green eyes. I just stared at the man.

"Hi I'm Mr Barlow, here to see the lawyer. Is my wife here?"

"Urm, yeah.. she's in ... half an hour ago... sir yes." He looked me in the eyes and laughed.

"Please may I go in...?" He smirked at me.

"Well yes certainly yes, oh I'm Eve," I shook his hand and smiled as he winked and walked in.

Wow