Chapter 2

I got into work, a week since I saw the Barlow clients. As I unlocked the office door I checked my face in the glass door, gently wiping my hand over the fresh bruise on the top of my back. I flicked by hair back to cover it and continued to turn the key, revealing myself to the boring office I sat in each day.

I was 20 minutes early because I wanted to get Henry and me out the house as quick as I could. I placed my bag under the desk and pulled the chair from underneath, sitting down and relieving my feet from my monstrous heels I decided to wear. I opened this weeks diary of appointments,

Monday 10-10:30 : Natalie Smith

  11-12 : Gary Barlow

Gary Barlow? Again? I thought to myself, confused. I kept reading, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday all bared his name, but they didn't say why and it was just him, no Mrs Barlow. As I sat in my own confusion my boss walked in.

"Morning Eve, good weekend?" He asked as he looked at his phone.

"Just the usual sir, yourself?"

"Jane and I went on the yacht for a couple of days, but other than that nothing really. Send in Miss Smith when she's here will you." And with that he opened the door to his own office and closed the door, leaving me in my confusion again.

I had finished my days work and I was off to collect my son and return home, which I was dreading hugely. I arrived at the school, 10 minutes late and walked as quickly as I could to his classroom. He was stood there with a man, please don't be his father, oh god please, I thought as I approached the doors, breathing heavier and heavier.

Henry saw me and smiled hugely, running to give me a hug. I took him from under the arms and picked him up into a big hug, kissing him on the forehead.

"Hello baby, how was your day?"

"It was really good mummy, I painted you a picture." I put him down and he handed me a piece of A4. On the picture was him and me holding hands in front of a nice house with a dog and more children and a man, but not his dad.

"Hunny this is gorgeous, but where's daddy?"

"I didn't want him in it so I didn't draw him." I just smiled at him and remembered the was a man standing with him. "Who was that man you were standing with Henry?"

"come and see." He took my hand and dragged me towards the man, with dark brown hair, quite short but still taller than me. He was dressed in blue chinos and a red shirt with brown leather shoes. He turned round as Henry tapped his arm. "Mummy this is Gawwy, Daniel's daddy." I swallowed and smiled as I stood with Gary Barlow once again.

"Oh hello Eve, nice to see you again," he winked and kissed my cheek. "Dan was wondering if Henry wanted to come round for dinner but I was waiting for you before I took him and made you worry." He smiled gently at me waiting for an answer.

"Oh... urm I don't know... Henry it's just... you know, daddy..." He looked down sadly and nodded, moving away from me.

"I'm sure it won't hurt for just a couple of hours?" Gary said looking at me. Everything hurts because everything I do wrong I have to pay for, no one understands. I swallowed hard.

"Ok, but not for too long, when should I pick him up?"

"Come along too, it would make it easier, we don't live in an easy area to find." He grinned and me and gestured for us to start walking. Dan and Henry ran ahead to the car as I walked with Gary.

We arrived at Gary's house and the boys ran off upstairs to play starwars with each other and I just stood in the hall way, admiring the size of the place.

"Please, come sit down," He smiled and took my bag, putting it down by the stairs and following behind me. "Now do you want a mug of tea, coffee, some cake?"

"Oh I'll come and make a cup of tea, I'll do it don't worry."

"No you're my guest, how do you take you tea" He looked puzzled but smiled.

"Milk so sugar please." After 5 minutes he returned, placing the tea down with a couple of biscuits. "Thank you so much, no one's made me tea in ages." I took a bite from the biscuit.

"Does your husband not make you tea?" He looked at me confused.

"Oh, no he doesn't have time, I make it for him as he works a lot."

"What does he do?" Gary asked as he took a sip of his tea, looking me in the eyes and leaning his arm on the top of the sofa.

"Urmm...