Chapter 8: Confused

(Eunji's POV)

  I waited on my bed worriedly until she came home. An hour past when I heard the front door open and heels stumble apon the wood from the downstairs floor. I immediately jumped off my bed and quickly ran out of my room.

When I got downstairs, I watched as Eomma tried walking over to the kitchen table. She looked extremely drunk and her eyes were pink and puffy. Her legs were very wobbly and she was having a hard time keeping her balance. She tried to sit down when she almost fell, but luckly, I ran over just in time to catch her. I helped bring her over to the couch in the living room.

"Eomma..." I said in a soft whisper as I started to rub her back as we sat down.

"Oh Eunji, Im so sorry, I really am..." she said as she snifled.

"Eomma...what happened? Why are you like this?" I said in a worried voice.

"Eunji, Appa....he..." she couldn't say anymore. I could tell that if she continued, she would have broke into tears. I got up and grabbed tissues from the table and gave them to her as I sat back down. To be honest, I was really scared. I was just trying not to think of anything bad, but I knew that wasn't going to work, seeing her like this. Something really terrible must have happened...

"He what? What happened?"

"He left, Eunji!" She said as she started to sob. I was confused. 'What does she mean "he left"? I don't understand. Did they fight?'

"Eomma, I-I don't understand." I said as I stopped rubbing her back.

"HE LEFT US!! WHAT DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND! HE'S GONE EUNJI! HE'S LEFT US FOR SOME OTHER WOMEN!! HE TOOK EVERYTHING AND RAN AWAY WITH IT!! EVEN OUR MONEY!! FOREVER!" She yelled as she pushed me and covered her face with her hands. She started to sob harder as she covered her nose with the tissues, leaning into her lap.

I was taken aback at first by her pushing me but I knew that she didn't mean to. She's just hurting. I would be to if I were her. And besides, she's drunk.

What she said though gave me chills and kept replaying in my mind.

"HE LEFT US!!"

"WHAT DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND! HE'S GONE EUNJI!"

"HE LEFT US FOR SOME OTHER WOMEN!!"

"HE TOOK EVERYTHING AND RAN AWAY WITH IT!! EVEN OUR MONEY!!"

"FOREVER!"

'S-Some other women? F-Forever?? He took e-everything? No...he wouldn't do that!....... would he? No, I will not accept this. This isn't happening. He was the only reason why we still had a house! Eomma earned money, but it was never really alot. And she would always use that money for food and needed things like that. We were always kinda low on money and that's why appa always tried to work hard. I would have never thought that something like this would happen... What are we going to do if we lose our house??? Will we be living on the streets?? What about food? No....this isn't happening. It's all a dream. Im gonna wake up any time now. It's going to be alright... Right?'

I finally came out of my thoughts and slowly sat up from the couch. Eomma was still sobbing into her lap. I couldn't even think properly anymore. I started to walk towards upstairs. My legs were extremely shaky. It was hard but I managed my way up the stairs and in my room.

When I entered my room I closed the door shut as eomma's sobbing became quieter. I slowly slid down the door and hugged my knees. I sobbed silently.

About an hour later, still in the same spot against the door, I heard eomma's door close meaning that she tired herself out from crying and finally made her way to sleep. But Unfortunately, I wasn't even close. I stopped crying but I was still sniffling. Hard. And there is no way possible that I am gonna get any sleep after what had happened tonight. I just kept worrying about the house. About our family.