CHAPTER 8

Happy Birthday Clary! It's your big day and The Independence Day and The Choosing Ceremony. Isn't that fun? Oh geez sarcasm hits me today. 3 celebration, for 1 day! Is that even impossible? After the announcement at theNEWS last night, everyone just got nuts.

And here I am looking at tge ceiling holding my cheeks and I remembered the sudden kiss of Prince Aiden to me. One question that really stays in my mind: "Why did he kissed me? He could just kiss my hand... right?"
Then 3 gentle knocks startled me.

"Clary?" Someone opened the door and it was mom peeking her head and smiled.

"Yes mom?" I sat down on my bed.

"Happy Birthday Baby!" She sat down beside me and kissed my forehead.

"Thanks mom...but I'm already 18. Please don't call me a baby." Mom laughed.

"So are you ready?" Mom asked, stands up and walks towards my closets and searched for a dress for me to wear later.

"I think so, Mom why do you think the King just suddenly followed the other kingdom and have a Selection?"

"Well I think..." Mom still picking out a dress. "I think, the prince and princess will be... a rolde model for you teens to...well marry at 18. Then again, you have to folliw the law, don't want ending up with the Scavengers don't you?"

The Scavengers. In other countries the government makes the criminals or the people who don't follow the law end up in prisons. While here in Surzona, they simply end them of to a place where there is no light, no money to buy things, homeless or in other words The most Miserable Life you'll experience.

Well the rule of marrying when your 18 really doesn't mean you should be married when you turn 18, but atleast you should have a boyfriend or maybe engaged.

"Oh. no..." that was my only answer.

"So would you like to wear this?" Mom showed me hangered gown. I put it in front of me.

"Mom I never since this for." It was a white gown, fitted at the waist and bottom part was so huge, and a full lenght laced sleeve.

"Happy Birthday! Your sister and I made it. Do you like it?"

"I don't like it mom..." her faced turned down.

"I love it!" She looked at me and giggled. We hugged each other so tight.

"Now you should go down stairs. I cooked you favorite..."

"Grilled Cheese?" She nodded, I hugged her ones more and immediately run downstairs. Until everyone shouts jumping from every entrance of the doors.

"Happy Birthday! Clary!"

"Aw thanks guys..." I continued going downstairs.

I was suprised the most when I saw Noah, holding a box, looking like a gift. He stepped forward and gave me the wrapped box. He was dressed neat, with his crisp suit on ready for the Choosing Ceremony later. Well his just 18, so his not safe like me. I saw his eyes like their saying I'm so sorry, but I can't really resist not forgiving him. He's my clost friend and I think his my only friend.

"Here, I prepared this for you. I hope you like it." He smiled and immediately he smile was gone. Then I remembered the horrible things I said to him at the party leaving him there alone. At the top of the box I saw a small paper.

Clary, I'm so sorry. I really do.
Happy Birthday!
I smiled at him meaning that I forgave him. He smiled back, his cute little smile is back.