Chapterd 3: We seriously DON'T need to talk

Not how I imagine Sean, but he's the closest. He's not that cute to me either 😒

We were 15 minutes late, and to be truly honest, I was delighted. The mayor was in the middle of his speech, this I know for sure. The only thing he does is switch the words around so it can seem like it's a new speech.

Mari searches the tables for her father. Retired commander and officer, served and protected this country for 10 years, and was a damn good one. The same line he always tells us.

I spot him fastly and point toward the table. She looks and we make our way as all eyes shift from the mayor to us. There is at least 100 guest, 8 placed at each table. Rich/wealthy people, like landowners, famous businesses that keep this town supported, retired soldiers who hit the jackpot, billionaires and investors. The mayor rants on and on about changes that he always says will happen but never follows through.

We arrive at the table. Mari hugs her dad as he listens while planting a kiss on his cheek.

"You're late!" He whispers to us both. I try to take the blame for practically getting bragged to come here, but Mari shrugs and motions toward my seat.

"Sorry, dad!" She mutters annoyed. Her mood has kinda been off since earlier. She hasn't been making many conversations, especially during the car ride. And me knowing Mari, knows she loves drama and lives to talk.

"Sorry Marvin," I whisper lowly trying to avoid stares from our whispering. Mr.Fields turn in his chair surprised to see me. I did just see him 2 weeks ago.

"Oh, Jay! It's been ages since I have last seen you!" He smiles kindly and I smile back nodding.

"Dad, her and Joe stopped by just last week. " She groans taking a seat beside her dad while I take the next seat to her left.

"Sshh," Ms.Atkins whispers to us. She's the third seat down across the table. Her grandsons, Sam and Corey stare bored out of space. Marvin apologies and turns his attention back to the mayor. But not before he says this...

"You both look perfectly stunning!" He whispers and smiles kindly at us. I glance at what he is wearing, which is a dark grey suit. Which isn't odd because he's always wearing a suit.

"Sssh Mr.Fields!" Ms.Atkins hisses angrily. Her perfectly wrapped grey/brownish hair pinned. Her slightly wrinkled skin is decorated with perfect makeup. Her pearl necklace lies against her pale skin with a stylish black dress.

"Sorry, Ms.Atkins." We all let out a groan. Seriously I think Atkins is obsessed with our mayor. Of course, he's quite handsome, but she is a serious fan-girl, as a 67-year-old.

Marvin has to give his speech now. He stands and walks toward the stage, the cheers and applause erupted. Mari soon rises and whispers down to me she has to go to the bathroom, she'll be back soon. Her voice is cracking. I grab her wrist.

"Is everything okay?" I whisper/ yell. I know something is wrong. I also know Mari is a very stubborn person, so she's not going to come out and say it. Best friend or not.

"I-It's fine." She shutters. Her eyeliner is running. I rise hesitantly but she shakes her head.

"Mari..." I try to go on but she's not having it.

"Jay! I'm fine!" She forces a smile and walks away. I know she needs space, so I leave her alone. I can't figure out what's bothering her! Could it be something between her and Jeremy?

I am so ready to eat. My stomach growls loudly, and Atkins is giving me a deadly glare. I return my focus back to Mr.Fields (Marvin).

" Looks like you need some company lovely." Lovely? That voice is familiar, and Lovely is my nickname from...